1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on (the linear, phenomenological equations of) nonequilibrium thermodynamics

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    Hello,

So one presumes that [itex]J_i = \sum_j L_{ij} X_j[/itex] where J_i is the current for a certain variable x_i and X_j are the different kind of thermodynamical "forces". In the case of heat conduction, the "force" is temperature difference [itex]\nabla T[/itex] and the current J_i is a current of heat (Fourier's law! [itex]J = - \kappa \nabla T[/itex]).

One also presumes that for the entropy production [itex]\sigma = \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} S = \sum_i X_i J_i [/itex] (*), so that together with the previous one gets that [itex]\sigma = \sum_{i,j} L_{ij} X_i X_j[/itex].

But anyway, how can (*) possibly be correct? After all, we also know that by the chain rule [itex]\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} S = \sum_i \frac{\partial S}{\partial x_i} \frac{\mathrm d x_i}{\mathrm dt}[/itex] or by definition of current [itex]\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} S = \sum_i \frac{\partial S}{\partial x_i} J_i[/itex] (**).

Comparing (*) and (**) would suggest that [itex]\boxed{ X_i = \frac{\partial S}{\partial x_i} }[/itex].

However, take again the case of heat conduction: [itex]x_i = E[/itex] (energy), hence [itex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial x_i} = \frac{1}{T}[/itex], but on the other hand, as claimed in my first paragraph: [itex]X_i = \nabla T[/itex]
    But obviously [itex]\boxed{ \frac{\partial S}{\partial x_i} = \frac{1}{T} \neq \nabla T = X_i }[/itex]

Where is my misunderstanding?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted