Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on the mod operator.

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    If a + b = c, then is a + b = c (mod n) for all n?

For example while reading LeVeque's Topics in Number Theory I came across a section on Fermat's Last Theorem in which he says: a way to show c^n = a^n + b^n has no solution is to assume the infinite amount of congruences c^n = a^n + b^n (mod p) for p = 2, 3, 5, 7, ... and then derive a contradiction.

I assume what he means is: if c^n = a^n + b^n, then c^n = a^n + b^n (mod n) for any n that we choose.

Is this valid?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the definition of equality, mod n?

It's ambiguous.

If you meant:

For any n: [ if c^n = a^n + b^n, then c^n = a^n + b^n (mod n) ]

That's fine. (Assuming you prove the theorem you originally asked)

If you meant

If c^n = a^n + b^n, then for any n: c^n = a^n + b^n (mod n)

the no, that's invalid. n already has a meaning, so you cannot introduce n as a dummy variable! You'd have to use a new letter, like p.

4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    Sorry that was clumsy of me, I didn't realize that I was using n as the variable for the exponent already. What I mean to say is:
    If c^n = a^n + b^n, then under the mod equivalence c^n = a^n + b^n (mod k), where we can choose k at our leisure.

It might be trivial but it seems to me that something is missing between these two steps.

5. Feb 7, 2006 #4
    Yes, that's trivial. The definition of the mod k equivalence class is x = y (mod k) iff k|x-y. Thus c^n = a^n + b^n implies c^n-(a^n + b^n) = 0, which is divisible by k for any k (except 0).

6. Feb 7, 2006 #5
    Ahh... of course that makes sense. I guess I just needed some reassurance to see it.

So then by convention zero is divisible by any n > 0, thats very interesting!

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?