Calculating Torque for Operating Multiple Agitators: Tips and Advice

• Thread starter Eugym Fong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation was about a designer studying the torque needed to turn a set of 20 agitators using a belt. Each agitator requires 2Nm to operate, and the picture showed 5 Nm per agitator. The expert suggested adding up the torques, resulting in a total of 40 Nm or 100 Nm depending on the case. The expert also mentioned the need to add additional torque for accelerating the rotational masses.
Eugym Fong
Hi Guys and Girls, I new to here. I am Designer and recently I am studying the torque of a motor needed to turn a set of 20 agitators by using a belt. Let say each of the agitator have needed 2Nm to operate, so if I use a motor to operate 20 agitators how many of torque is needed. I have no idea on it. Can you give me some ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• agitator.jpg
    agitator.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 372
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Eugym, welcome to PF :smile: !

In the picture it says 5 Nm per agitator !
Anyway, in principle you can just add up the torques, so you would end up with 40 Nm for your case, or 100 Nm for the case as shown in the picture.

I also thinking in this way. Ok, I will try hard on it. Thanks for your opinion!

You also need to add sufficient torque to accelerate all of the rotational masses from 0 RPM within the time required. This will be in addition to the 20x5 Nm torque.

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force of an object. It is important because it helps us understand how much force is needed to rotate an object and how efficiently that force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. The formula is: torque = force x distance.

3. What is the difference between torque and horsepower?

Torque and horsepower are related but different concepts. Torque is a measure of force, while horsepower is a measure of power. Torque is responsible for an object's ability to rotate, while horsepower is a measure of how quickly work can be done.

4. What factors affect the amount of torque needed?

The amount of torque needed depends on the force required to rotate the object, the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation, and the efficiency of the system. Other factors that may affect torque include the weight, shape, and size of the object.

5. How can torque be increased?

To increase torque, you can either increase the force applied or increase the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. Additionally, using gears or pulleys can also increase torque by changing the ratio of force to distance.