Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Theoretical Physics

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Question on "Theoretical Physics"

For college purposes I'm trying to get a feel on what major I would like to pursue for a BA and maybe eventually a Ph.D. I'm interested in physics in general, specifically trying to think of something new as opposed to entirely using formulas/laws of other people. It seems that by definition a theoretical physicist would be doing just that but I'm not sure so hopefully someone can clear that up.

I'm concerned that the thing that would hinder me from being a successful physicist (success for me would mean making a noteworthy contribution to physics) would be my intelligence. I guess I'm just afraid that if pursue physics that other physicists will all be geniuses and that I simply won't be able to match up to them in terms of abstract thought. Hopefully I can be aware of my intellectual limitations sooner than later just as I am of my athletic or artistic ones.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted