Solving x^2+y^2=27: Understanding the Limitations of Two-Variable Equations

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding integer solutions for the equation x^2+y^2=27 and the possibility of solving it without an additional equation, as well as the potential for finding rational solutions. The conversation also mentions Legendre's theorem for finding rational solutions on conics. Ultimately, it is concluded that there are no rational solutions for this equation.
Saitama
Hi!
I found a question on a Facebook page asked by someone on that page. The question is:-
[tex]x^2+y^2=27[/tex]

The questioner asked to find integer solutions for it. But i think it's not possible to solve unless we have one more equation. Am i right..?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hey, if all they are asking is to find integer solution...who cares how? Clearly, this is the equation of a circle with a radius of about 5.19...so, you know that every x,y combination that satisfies the equation is no more than that...all you have to do now is try all integer combinations of x,y from -5 to 5 and see what happens...or just the reasonable combinations, if you want, knowing that x,y need to meet at the circle with 5.19 radius...you know what I mean..

It would have been more fun if he had asked for all the rational solutions...

gsal said:
hey, if all they are asking is to find integer solution...who cares how? Clearly, this is the equation of a circle with a radius of about 5.19...so, you know that every x,y combination that satisfies the equation is no more than that...all you have to do now is try all integer combinations of x,y from -5 to 5 and see what happens...or just the reasonable combinations, if you want, knowing that x,y need to meet at the circle with 5.19 radius...you know what I mean..

Sorry gsal! :frown:
I don't understand what you said.

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry gsal! :frown:
I don't understand what you said.

Just plug in all integers from -5 to 5 and see if you get a solution.

micromass said:
Just plug in all integers from -5 to 5 and see if you get a solution.

No, i am not getting the solution.

Pranav-Arora said:
No, i am not getting the solution.

Well, that means that there aren't any solutions.

micromass said:
Well, that means that there aren't any solutions.

Ok thanks! :smile:

Reduce modulo 4. What do you know about the quadratic residues mod 4?

disregardthat said:
Reduce modulo 4. What do you know about the quadratic residues mod 4?

Sorry! I don't understand you.

micromass said:
It would have been more fun if he had asked for all the rational solutions...

How do you find the rational solutions? :confused:
Or prove that there are none?

I like Serena said:
How do you find the rational solutions? :confused:
Or prove that there are none?

There are none here. Finding rational solution to [itex]x^2+y^2=27[/itex] is the same as finding rational solutions to [itex]x^2+y^2=3[/itex] (divide everything by 9. And this is the same as finding nonzero integer solutions to [itex]x^2+y^2=3z^2[/itex]. Furthermore, we can assume that x,y and z have no common factors.

Let's say that there is a solution, then we can look at it modulo 3. Thus we would have

[tex]x^2+y^2=0[/tex]

but checking all elements of [itex]\mathbb{Z}/3\mathbb{Z}[/itex] gives us that x=0,y=0 have to be solutions. Thus our orignal equation

[tex]x^2+y^2=3z^2[/tex]

must have a solution of the form x=3m, y=3n. But then

[tex]3(n^2+m^2)=z^2[/tex]

This implies that z would be divisible by 3. So x,y and z are divisible by 3 and thus have common factors. This is against the assumption.
The general result of finding rational solutions on conics is given by Legendre's theorem: www.risc.jku.at/education/courses/ss2011/caag/proj-rat-points-conic.pdf

Last edited:
micromass said:
There are none here. Finding rational solution to [itex]x^2+y^2=27[/itex] is the same as finding rational solutions to [itex]x^2+y^2=3[/itex] (divide everything by 9. And this is the same as finding integer solutions to [itex]x^2+y^2=3z^2[/itex]. Furthermore, we can assume that x,y and z have no common factors.

Let's say that there is a solution, then we can look at it modulo 3. Thus we would have

[tex]x^2+y^2=0[/tex]

but checking all elements of [itex]\mathbb{Z}/3\mathbb{Z}[/itex] gives us that x=0,y=0 have to be solutions. Thus our orignal equation

[tex]x^2+y^2=3z^2[/tex]

must have a solution of the form x=3m, y=3n. But then

[tex]3(n^2+m^2)=z^2[/tex]

This implies that z would be divisible by 3. So x,y and z are divisible by 3 and thus have common factors. This is against the assumption.

The general result of finding rational solutions on conics is given by Legendre's theorem: www.risc.jku.at/education/courses/ss2011/caag/proj-rat-points-conic.pdf

Everything went over my head...:uhh:

OK, let's do this in step.

Let's assume that x and y are rational numbers that satisfy

[tex]x^2+y^2=27[/tex]

then

[tex]u=\frac{x}{3},~~v=\frac{y}{3}[/tex]

are rational numbers that satisfy

[tex]u^2+v^2=3[/tex]

Thus it suffices to find rational solutions to [itex]u^2+v^2=3[/itex]

Now, u and v are rational, thus they have the form [itex]u=\frac{a}{c},~v=\frac{b}{c}[/itex] with a,b,c integers with no common factors and c nonzero. Then

[tex]u^2+v^2=3[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]a^2+b^2=3c^2[/tex]

So it suffices to find nonzero integers a,b,c such that

[tex]a^2+b^2=3c^2[/tex]

and such that a,b,c have no common factors.

Do you understand it until here?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't a and c have a common factor? :confused:

(Btw, you didn't define v properly.)

I like Serena said:
Why wouldn't a and c have a common factor? :confused:

a and c can have a common factor. But a,b and c can't.
Let's say that a, b, and c have a common factor m. Then a=ma', b=mb', c=mc'. And thus

[tex](ma^\prime)^2+(mb^\prime)^2=3(mc^\prime)^2[/tex]

hence

[tex](a^\prime)^2+(b^\prime)^2=3(c^\prime)^2[/tex]

Thus I have eliminated the common factor. That is, if I have an integer solution (a,b,c) with a common factor, then I can find an integer solution (a',b',c') without a common factor. Thus it suffices to look at

[tex]x^2+y^2=3z^2[/tex]

such that x,y,z do not have common factors.

(Btw, you didn't define v properly.)[/QUOTE]

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi!
I found a question on a Facebook page asked by someone on that page. The question is:-
[tex]x^2+y^2=27[/tex]
I'd go with x = 6, y = 3i. Do Gaussian integers count?

Last edited:

1. What is the equation x^2+y^2=27?

This is a two-variable equation that represents all possible solutions where the sum of the squares of the two variables is equal to 27. It is a circle with a radius of √27 ≈ 5.2 units.

2. How do you solve this equation?

Since there are two variables, there are infinitely many solutions to this equation. However, if we are looking for integer solutions, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find all possible combinations of integers that satisfy the equation. These solutions are known as Pythagorean triples.

3. What are the limitations of solving two-variable equations?

The main limitation is that there are infinitely many solutions to these equations, making it impossible to find a single “correct” answer. Additionally, some equations may have complex or non-real solutions, which are not applicable in many real-world scenarios.

4. Is there a way to graph this equation?

Yes, we can graph this equation on a 2-dimensional coordinate plane by plotting all possible solutions, which form a circle. However, since there are infinitely many solutions, the graph would be a continuous curve rather than a finite set of points.

5. How does understanding the limitations of two-variable equations help in real-world applications?

Recognizing the limitations of these equations can help us understand that they may not always accurately represent a real-world scenario. In many cases, additional variables and factors need to be considered, and a single equation may not be enough to accurately model a situation. It also helps us to critically analyze and interpret the results of solving these equations in practical applications.