Velocity Addition Q: Ball Thrown from Moving Ship?

In summary, when a spaceship is traveling at .86c and throws a ball at 100 feet per second in the ship frame, in the observer's frame of reference the ball will appear to be traveling at approximately 25 feet per second with respect to the ship. This is due to the relativistic velocity addition formula and the Lorentz factor causing distortions in the measurements of distance and time. However, this calculation is not exact and would require additional factors to be more precise.
NoahsArk
Gold Member
Suppose a spaceship is flying past me, an observer on earth, at .86c. A traveler on the ship has a ball which is attached to a string which is 100 feet long in the ship frame. The traveler grabs the string and throws the ball out of the front window of the ship at a speed of 100 feet per second in the ship frame. Are the following calculations correct?:

1. In my frame of reference the ball is gaining distance on the ship at 50 feet per second.
2. In my frame of reference, when the string is fully extended, it is 50 feet long.

Physics news on Phys.org
NoahsArk said:
1. In my frame of reference the speed of the ball is 50 feet per second.
The ship is doing 0.86c. The ball is going faster than that. 50 ft/s is unlikely.
NoahsArk said:
2. In my frame of reference, when the string is fully extended, it is 50 feet long.
To a decent approximation, yes. From a nitpicking point of view, some care is probably needed because the string is likely to stretch and mechanical effects like that are not instantaneous - so you might need to think carefully about exactly what you mean by "when" the string is fully extended.

NoahsArk said:
1. In my frame of reference the ball is gaining distance on the ship at 50 feet per second.

For this part of the question, use the relativistic velocity addition formula. However, 100ft/s is so small compared to 0.86c that the answer would essentially be 0.86c up to rounding.

Sorry I didn't ask the first question clearly:

I didn't mean the ball's total speed in my frame of reference, I just meant how fast the ball is going with respect to the ship in my frame.

You see the ball being thrown at a ##velocity = \Delta distance/ \Delta time## where the traveler's measurement of both ##\Delta distance## and ## \Delta time## are distorted (in your view) by the Lorentz factor 1.96. So you see a shorter ##\Delta distance## and a longer ## \Delta time## by the Lorentz factor. The ball's speed wrt the ship should be 25 (more precisely 26.04).

EDIT: This is still missing a factor. See post #10 by @PAllen below.

Last edited:
Likes David Lewis
With a speed of .86c for the ship the Lorenz factor, I thought, was 2, which is why I thought the length of the string would be half from my perspective of what the traveler measures. That’s also why I thought the speed with respect to the ship would be half the speed than what the traveler measures.

Where did you get the speed of 25 feet per second since that is only 1/4 what the traveler measures?

Thank you.

Because both length and time are distorted. ##(\Delta distance /\gamma(v)) / (\Delta time * \gamma(v))##

I see thanks. So it would be 25 because it's half the length (50ft) divided by twice the time 2min = 25 ft/s.

Likes FactChecker
NoahsArk said:
I see thanks. So it would be 25 because it's half the length (50ft) divided by twice the time 2min = 25 ft/s.
Yes. I really should have taken the time to use better notation to indicate the ship frame measurement of distance and time.

Simple algebra from the velocity addition formula shows that:

If u is velocity of rocket in observer rest frame, and v is velocity of ball in rocket rest frame, and if v is very small compared to u, then the difference in speed between the ball and the rocket in observer rest frame is v/γ(u)2, consistent with what @FactChecker says based on a simple argument. However, to be exact, this result would be divided by (1 + uv/c2)

Likes FactChecker
PAllen said:
Simple algebra from the velocity addition formula shows that:

If u is velocity of rocket in observer rest frame, and v is velocity of ball in rocket rest frame, and if v is very small compared to u, then the difference in speed between the ball and the rocket in observer rest frame is v/γ(u)2, consistent with what @FactChecker says based on a simple argument. However, to be exact, this result would be divided by (1 + uv/c2)
I stand corrected. I oversimplified the situation. I guess there are more complications of the relativity of simultaneity to consider. So one has to use the velocity addition formula. I guess I was close to the correct answer only because I was lucky that ##u/c## is so small in this example (as others have pointed out).

1. How does the velocity of a ball thrown from a moving ship affect its trajectory?

The velocity of a ball thrown from a moving ship affects its trajectory in two ways. First, the initial velocity of the ball will be the sum of the velocity of the ship and the velocity of the throw. This means that the ball will have a higher velocity relative to an observer on the ship, but the same velocity relative to an observer on land. Second, the direction of the ball's velocity will be affected by the direction and speed of the ship, resulting in a curved trajectory.

2. Does the velocity of the ship matter if the ball is thrown straight up?

Yes, the velocity of the ship still matters even if the ball is thrown straight up. This is because the ball will still have the same initial velocity as the ship, but with an upward component due to the throw. The ship's velocity will then affect the direction and speed of the ball's trajectory, causing it to land at a different point compared to if the ship was stationary.

3. What happens to the ball's velocity when it is thrown against the direction of the ship's motion?

When the ball is thrown in the opposite direction of the ship's motion, the two velocities will subtract from each other. This means that the ball will have a lower initial velocity compared to if the ship was stationary. However, the direction of the ball's velocity will still be affected by the ship's motion, resulting in a curved trajectory.

4. Can the velocity of the ball be greater than the velocity of the ship?

Yes, the velocity of the ball can be greater than the velocity of the ship. This can happen if the ball is thrown in the same direction as the ship's motion, with a strong enough throw to overcome the ship's velocity. In this case, the ball will have a higher initial velocity compared to if the ship was stationary.

5. How does the velocity of the ship and the throw affect the distance the ball travels?

The velocity of the ship and the throw both play a role in determining the distance the ball will travel. The initial velocity of the ball, which is the sum of the ship's velocity and the throw's velocity, will affect the speed at which the ball travels. The direction of the ball's velocity, which is influenced by the ship's motion, will determine the path the ball takes and ultimately, the distance it travels before landing. The stronger the throw and the faster the ship's velocity, the further the ball will travel.