Question: Process Dynamics Control Law help.

In summary: These could include changes in viscosity or changes in the heat transfer coefficient.In summary, the control law for the crude oil preheater furnace can be derived by using the steady-state energy balance and defining deviation variables. However, there are potential problems with using this control law, such as inaccuracies in physical properties, dynamic behavior of the system, and nonlinearities. These should be taken into consideration when implementing the control law.
specwarop

Homework Statement

A crude oil preheater furnace has a simplified mathematical model for the process obtained by applying a steady-state energy balance that requires that: Heat input through fuel = heat required to heat feed from T(i) to T, ie:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]f.Qf = F.Cp.(T-Ti)

Here, Cp is the specific heat capacity of the crude oil feed.

a) Use this information to derive a control law that, given measurements of the disturbance variable Ti, and assuming that the physical properties of the fuel and the crude oil are available, prescribes how to adjust Qf so that T attains the desired value T*.
b) Identify the potential problems a controller based on such a control law is likely.

Letters in brackets are actually subscript.

Homework Equations

Refer equation above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this question however I honestly have no idea where to go with it.
I have determined which are input and output variables and which are disturbances. But once I work out the y, u, d deviation variables, I get stuck.
In addition, this above question is from the Ogunnaike book on Process Dynamics, which fails to provide answers in the book, or in an external solution manual. So I am therefore unable to check my answers at all.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are struggling with deriving a control law for a crude oil preheater furnace based on the given information. Here are some steps that may help you:

1. Identify the input, output, and disturbance variables: The input variable in this case is Qf, the heat input through fuel. The output variable is T, the desired temperature of the crude oil. The disturbance variable is Ti, the initial temperature of the crude oil.

2. Define the deviation variables: Let y = T-T* be the deviation of the output variable from its desired value. Similarly, let u = Qf-Qf* be the deviation of the input variable from its desired value. And let d = Ti-Ti* be the deviation of the disturbance variable from its desired value.

3. Write the steady-state energy balance equation: The given equation can be rewritten as:

Qf = F*Cp*(T-Ti)/λ

4. Substitute the deviation variables into the equation: Using the deviation variables defined in step 2, the equation becomes:

Qf* + u = F*Cp*(T* + y - (Ti* + d))/λ

5. Simplify the equation: Rearrange the equation to solve for u:

u = λ*F*Cp*(T* + y - (Ti* + d)) - Qf*

6. Substitute the values of λ, F, and Cp: These values are given in the problem statement, so you can substitute them into the equation to get the final control law:

u = K*(T* + y - (Ti* + d)) - Qf*

Where K = λ*F*Cp is a constant that depends on the physical properties of the fuel and crude oil.

Now, for part b, the potential problems with using this control law could include:

1. Accuracy of the physical properties: The control law assumes that the physical properties of the fuel and crude oil are known and accurate. Any errors in these values could affect the performance of the control law.

2. Steady-state vs. dynamic behavior: The control law is based on a steady-state energy balance, which may not accurately capture the dynamic behavior of the system. This could lead to instability or poor control performance.

3. Nonlinearities in the system: The control law assumes a simplified linear model, but in reality, the system may have nonlinearities that can affect the control performance.

1. What is process dynamics control law?

Process dynamics control law refers to the set of rules and equations used to control and manipulate a process in order to achieve a desired outcome. It involves analyzing the behavior and characteristics of the process, identifying any disturbances or variations, and implementing a control strategy to maintain stability and optimize performance.

2. What are the key components of a control law?

The key components of a control law include a process model, a control objective or goal, a feedback loop, and a control algorithm. The process model is a mathematical representation of the process being controlled, while the control objective is the desired outcome. The feedback loop continuously measures and compares the process output to the desired outcome, and the control algorithm uses this information to adjust the process input in order to achieve the control objective.

3. How does process dynamics control law differ from traditional control methods?

Process dynamics control law differs from traditional control methods in that it takes into account the dynamic behavior of the process, rather than just the steady-state behavior. This allows for more precise and efficient control, as it can adjust for changes in the process over time.

4. What are the benefits of using process dynamics control law?

The benefits of using process dynamics control law include improved process efficiency and stability, reduced costs through better resource utilization, and the ability to respond to changes and disturbances in the process in real-time. It also allows for more accurate and consistent control, leading to higher quality products or outcomes.

5. How is process dynamics control law applied in real-world situations?

Process dynamics control law is applied in various industries and processes, such as manufacturing, chemical production, and power generation. It can be used to control variables such as temperature, pressure, flow rate, and composition in a wide range of systems. Some examples of its application include controlling the temperature in a chemical reactor, regulating the speed of a motor, and adjusting the flow of water in a water treatment plant.