Question re. Conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the problem involves two wheels with different radii and rotational inertia, initially with one wheel at rest and the other with a rotational velocity. As the smaller wheel moves closer to the larger one, friction causes the smaller wheel to speed up and the larger one to slow down until they both have the same tangential velocity in opposite directions. The hint given is that angular momentum is not conserved, and the conversation discusses the external forces and torque that cause this. The final tangential velocity of both wheels can be calculated using the equations provided.
dautowerk
Um, I just saw this problem on another discussion forum and currently I'm stumped. So I decided to post this over here and see if anyone can help me with it:

Two wheels with radii R1 and R2 (R1>R2) have rotational inertia I1 and I2, respectively. Initially the small wheel is at rest, while the big wheel has rotational velocity of W1 about its center. We gradually move the small wheel closer to the big one, until the wheels touch. Then friction between the wheels causes the small wheel to speed up, and the big wheel to slow down, until at last the two wheels spin with the same tangential velocity in opposite directions. What is this tangential velocity? (Hint: angular momentum is not conserved.)

I don't understand why angular momentum would not be conserved, considering that the frictional forces are of the same magnitude and opposite direction. Where does the external torque come from? Could someone enlighten me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the hint didn't say that the angular momentum of the large wheel is not conserved? Since this is a closed system the total angular momentum surely should be conserved.

Let ω1' be the final angular speed of the large wheel, ω2' be the final angular speed of the small wheel. By conservation of angular momentum, I1ω1= I1ω1'+ I2ω2'.

Since the tangential velocities of the two wheels are the same, R1ω1'= R2ω2'. Solving that for ω2', [itex]\omega_2'= \frac{R_1}{R_2}\omega_1'[/itex].

The first equation then is: [itex]I_1 \omega_1= I_1\omega_1'+\frac{I_2R_1}{R_2}\omega_1'= \frac{I_1R_2+I_2R_1}{R_2}\omega_1'[/itex].
The final angular velocity of the large wheel is
[itex]\omega_1'= \frac{R_2I_1\omega_1}{I_2R_1+ I_1R_2}[/itex]
The final angular velocity of the small wheel is
[itex]\omega_2'= \frac{R_1}{R_2}\omega_1'= \frac{I_1R_1\omega_1}{I_2R_1+I_1R_2}[/itex]
and the tangential velocity is
[itex]R_1\omega_1'= R_2\omega_2'= \frac{I_1R_1R_2\omega_1}{I_1R_2+ I_2R_1}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all it should be clear that the two wheels are in the same plane and their axis of rotation (passes through their centers) are parallel. When the two wheels come closer, their rims are touching each other and the friction is acting against their relative motion on the two wheels in opposite direction. These forces (friction) will move the centers of the two wheels in opposite direction. To hold axes of the wheels at the same place we have to apply equal force at the center of each wheel parallel and opposite to the friction. These external forces creats an external torque on the system and hence angular momentum is not consurved.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant when no external torque is acting upon it.

2. Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and systems, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in various engineering applications, such as spacecraft navigation and control.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the law of inertia, which states that an object will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In a closed system, any change in the distribution of mass or velocity will result in a corresponding change in the angular momentum of the system.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

One example of conservation of angular momentum is seen in the behavior of ice skaters. When a skater pulls their arms in, their rotational speed increases due to the conservation of angular momentum. Another example is the rotation of planets around the sun, which is maintained by the constant angular momentum of the system.