Solving Physics Homework: Question Redirected

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of spherical coordinates and boundary conditions in finding the potential for a conducting sphere. It is mentioned that without boundary conditions, the potential cannot be determined. The solution will satisfy a Laplace equation and may have multiple possible solutions depending on the specified boundary conditions. A reference for further understanding is also provided.
Physics news on Phys.org
You use spherical coordinates, but without boundary conditions, you will not be able to find the potential, so you need to specify them.

Barring time-dependent boundary conditions, "conducting" means that the entire sphere is an equipotential.

So, my solution will satisfy:

[tex]\nabla^{2}\Psi = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Psi = \sum a \Psi[/tex]

Should I assume there will be no potential outside the spheroid (or whatever)? And do the boundary conditions determine what particular solution (there is a table of different ones) it will be?

1. How do I approach a difficult physics homework problem?

The best way to approach a difficult physics homework problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what you already know about the problem and what information is missing. Then, try to apply the relevant equations and concepts to the given information. If you are still stuck, try working backwards from the answer or seeking help from a teacher or classmate.

2. Can I use a calculator for my physics homework?

Yes, using a calculator for physics homework is typically allowed and even encouraged. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct units and following proper mathematical procedures. Remember that a calculator is a tool to assist you, but it is still important to understand the concepts behind the calculations.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use units to verify that your final answer has the correct dimensions. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps. If you have access to a solution manual or online resources, you can compare your answer to the provided solution. Additionally, you can ask your teacher or a classmate to review your work and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with my physics homework?

If you are struggling with your physics homework, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. This could include asking your teacher for clarification, attending after-school tutoring sessions, or forming a study group with classmates. It is also helpful to identify which specific concepts or equations you are struggling with and focus on practicing those areas.

5. How can I improve my overall understanding of physics?

To improve your overall understanding of physics, it is important to actively engage with the material. This could include attending class, taking thorough notes, and actively participating in class discussions. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of problems and seeking help when needed. Additionally, making connections between different concepts and applying them to real-world scenarios can deepen your understanding of physics.