1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding a charge problem

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Three charges are fixed to an xy coordinate system. A charge of +18 microC is on the y axis at y = +3.0m. A charge of -12 microC is at the origin. Lastly a charge of +45 mircoC is on the x axis at x = +3.0m. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x = +3m. Specify the direction relative to the -x axis.

With this problem ^ I am not really sure I understand how to set it up, if they want the force on the x axis, why do they give me the y coordinate and the charge? I tried setting it up with the f= (kq1q2)/r^2 but once I found the two forces using the origin charge as the q2 I wasnt really sure how to move forward.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about writing the 2 vectors with their 2 components clearly stated and them add them "on components".I'm sure it won't fail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?