1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillatis

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass m moves along the x axis subject to an attractive force given by 17B^2mx/2 and a retarding force given by 3Bmx', where x is the distance from the origine and B is a costant. A driving force given by mAcos(wt), where A is a constant, is applied to the particle along the x-axis. Find the driving frequencies at which the mechanical energy of the forced oscillation is one half of its maximum value.

2. Relevant equations

I just wanted to run this by you guys. It makes sense to me and I wanted to get external input. I calculated the amplitude of the oscillation with reference to omega and plugged that into the equation (lets call it 1/2kA(w')). What I did next was I derived the energy equation and found a value for w. I then equated 1/2kA(w)^2 with 1/4kA(w')) and solved for w. I ended up having to use the quadratic equation to find it. Does this sound right to you?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?