Question regarding Dirac matrices

• Thread starter peperone
  • Start date
Hey there.

In an exercise I was trying to show that every solution of the Dirac equation also solves the Klein-Gordon equation.

Now I have two very simple questions:

Is [tex]\gamma_\nu \gamma^\mu = \gamma^\nu \gamma_\mu[/tex] ?

And is [tex]\partial_\nu \partial^\mu = \partial^\nu \partial_\mu[/tex] ?

Thanks for the help.

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Not really.U should pay attention with this "Lorentz covariance" and always try to see these expressions as tensor products of 4-vectors.

Daniel.

I kinda felt it couldn't be that simple. :p

Thanks anyway.

Can anybody verify this?

[tex]\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu = \partial_\mu\partial^\mu[/tex]

Just as clarification: I am trying to show that every solution of the Dirac equation also solves the Klein-Gordon equation. So I started with the Dirac equation:

[tex](i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Then, I multiplied it with the operator [tex]-(i\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu + m)[/tex] (from left) which gave me:

[tex](\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

This surely looks somewhat like the Klein-Gordan equation if the above assumption is correct. I just fail to see why it is true.

Any hints appreciated!

Last edited:
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Yes,it can be shown easily once you manipulate the Lorentz indices and the anticommutation relation between the gamma's.
[tex] \gamma_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}=\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=\frac{1}{2}\gamma_{(\nu}\gamma_{\mu)}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=d'alembertian [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.Did u follow the reasoning...?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Why's the KG equation:

[tex] (\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}-m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t) =0 [/tex]

,instead of:

[tex] -(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}+m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t)=0 [/tex]

What metric are u using...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Why's the KG equation:

[tex] (\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}-m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t) =0 [/tex]

,instead of:

[tex] -(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}+m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t)=0 [/tex]
Sorry, it was just a typo. I edited my post. Thanks for all the help. I think I got it now...

Start with the Dirac equation:

[tex](i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Multiply the operator [tex]-(i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m)[/tex] (from left):

[tex](\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = (\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Because of the anticommutation relation [tex]\{\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu\} = 2 g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] it is possible to simplify [tex]\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu[/tex] to [tex]g_{\mu\mu}[/tex] which proves [tex]\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\partial^\mu = \partial^\mu\partial_\mu[/tex].

Thanks again.

Last edited:
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Note that u have 4 identical (Lorentz) indices in the same tensor equation and that's not good,not good at all.
Pay attention with these indices,as u might confuse them.

Daniel.

Hm, that's true. Do you know a better way? I'm highly interested in alternative solutions.

dextercioby said:
Yes,it can be shown easily once you manipulate the Lorentz indices and the anticommutation relation between the gamma's.
[tex] \gamma_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}=\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=\frac{1}{2}\gamma_{(\nu}\gamma_{\mu)}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=d'alembertian [/tex]
To be honest, I don't understand what you're doing here (step 2 -> step 3)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
You multiply with the same operator,but with index "nu" (instead of "mu") and then use the trick i've used in post #5.It should come out nicely.

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
peperone said:
To be honest, I don't understand what you're doing here (step 2 -> step 3)
[tex] \gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}T^{\nu\mu}=\frac{1}{2}(\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}+\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu})T^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

where T is a symmetric second rank tensor and to get the second term from the bracket i turned "mu"--->"nu" and "nu"---->"mu" and to factor the same tensor i used the fact that under this renotation,the tensor T is symmetric.

Daniel.

This surely looks slick! :) But why is [tex]\partial^\nu\partial^\mu[/tex] a symmetric second rank tensor?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Because wrt bosonic coordinates,the partial derivatives commute.

Daniel.