Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Dirac matrices

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1
    Hey there.

In an exercise I was trying to show that every solution of the Dirac equation also solves the Klein-Gordon equation.

Now I have two very simple questions:

Is [tex]\gamma_\nu \gamma^\mu = \gamma^\nu \gamma_\mu[/tex] ?

And is [tex]\partial_\nu \partial^\mu = \partial^\nu \partial_\mu[/tex] ?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really.U should pay attention with this "Lorentz covariance" and always try to see these expressions as tensor products of 4-vectors.

Daniel.

4. Feb 10, 2005 #3
    I kinda felt it couldn't be that simple. :p

Thanks anyway.

5. Feb 10, 2005 #4
    Can anybody verify this?

[tex]\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu = \partial_\mu\partial^\mu[/tex]

Just as clarification: I am trying to show that every solution of the Dirac equation also solves the Klein-Gordon equation. So I started with the Dirac equation:

[tex](i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Then, I multiplied it with the operator [tex]-(i\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu + m)[/tex] (from left) which gave me:

[tex](\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

This surely looks somewhat like the Klein-Gordan equation if the above assumption is correct. I just fail to see why it is true.

Any hints appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  6. Feb 10, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,it can be shown easily once you manipulate the Lorentz indices and the anticommutation relation between the gamma's.
    [tex] \gamma_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}=\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=\frac{1}{2}\gamma_{(\nu}\gamma_{\mu)}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}=d'alembertian [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.Did u follow the reasoning...?

7. Feb 10, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why's the KG equation:

[tex] (\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}-m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t) =0 [/tex]

,instead of:

[tex] -(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}+m^{2})\Psi (\vec{r},t)=0 [/tex]

What metric are u using...?

Daniel.

8. Feb 10, 2005 #7
    Sorry, it was just a typo. I edited my post. Thanks for all the help. I think I got it now...

Start with the Dirac equation:

[tex](i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Multiply the operator [tex]-(i\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m)[/tex] (from left):

[tex](\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = (\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\partial^\mu + m^2)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Because of the anticommutation relation [tex]\{\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu\} = 2 g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] it is possible to simplify [tex]\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu[/tex] to [tex]g_{\mu\mu}[/tex] which proves [tex]\gamma_\mu\gamma_\mu\partial^\mu\partial^\mu = \partial^\mu\partial_\mu[/tex].

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  9. Feb 10, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that u have 4 identical (Lorentz) indices in the same tensor equation and that's not good,not good at all.
    Pay attention with these indices,as u might confuse them.

Daniel.

10. Feb 10, 2005 #9
    Hm, that's true. Do you know a better way? I'm highly interested in alternative solutions.

11. Feb 10, 2005 #10
    To be honest, I don't understand what you're doing here (step 2 -> step 3)

12. Feb 10, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You multiply with the same operator,but with index "nu" (instead of "mu") and then use the trick i've used in post #5.It should come out nicely.

Daniel.

13. Feb 10, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}T^{\nu\mu}=\frac{1}{2}(\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}+\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu})T^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

where T is a symmetric second rank tensor and to get the second term from the bracket i turned "mu"--->"nu" and "nu"---->"mu" and to factor the same tensor i used the fact that under this renotation,the tensor T is symmetric.

Daniel.

14. Feb 10, 2005 #13
    This surely looks slick! :) But why is [tex]\partial^\nu\partial^\mu[/tex] a symmetric second rank tensor?

15. Feb 10, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because wrt bosonic coordinates,the partial derivatives commute.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?