Einstein Field Equations: Covariant vs Contravariant

In summary, depending on the source, EFE may be covariantly or contravariantly written. Physically, historically, and/or pragmatically, there is no reason for this convention.
Prez Cannady
Depending on the source, I'll often see EFE written as either covariantly:

$$R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu} = 8 \pi GT_{\mu\nu}$$

or contravariantly

$$R^{\alpha\beta} - \frac{1}{2}Rg^{\alpha\beta} = 8 \pi GT^{\alpha\beta}$$

Physically, historically, and/or pragmatically, is there a reason for this? Or is it just the result of habit and preference with the understanding that you can raise and lower indices as required once you've solved for mass-energy or curvature?

I mean, mathematically I might use the bottom formulation when playing with covectors, but when would a relativist do that in practice in his every day work? Or do physicists not really concern themselves about the convention just so long as the indices line up at the end of the day?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prez Cannady said:
is it just the result of habit and preference

Yes. As long as you have a metric, you can raise and lower indexes whenever you like, so which way to put them in equations is just preference.

Likes Prez Cannady
It might be good to make a scorecard of which author uses which form.
My guess is that a more-mathematically minded author would write the first form
since that is purer... using the inverse-metric fewer times.

Likes Prez Cannady
robphy said:
It might be good to make a scorecard of which author uses which form.
My guess is that a more-mathematically minded author would write the first form
since that is purer... using the inverse-metric fewer times.
I don’t know about purer. To me it might seem ”purer” to vary the action with respect to the metric rather than its inverse, which would give you the second form ... In the end, to each his/her own.

Likes Prez Cannady
I prefer ##\mathbf{Ric}-\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{g}\text{Tr}_\mathbf{g}(\mathbf{Ric})=8\pi G\mathbf{T}## because it looks fancier. :biggrin:

1. What are the Einstein Field Equations?

The Einstein Field Equations are a set of 10 equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. They were derived by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant in the context of the Einstein Field Equations?

In the context of the Einstein Field Equations, covariant and contravariant refer to different ways of representing the equations. In the covariant form, the equations are written in terms of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the curvature of spacetime. In the contravariant form, the equations are written in terms of the metric tensor, which relates the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

3. Why are both covariant and contravariant forms of the Einstein Field Equations important?

Both the covariant and contravariant forms of the Einstein Field Equations are important because they provide different perspectives on the same physical phenomena. The covariant form is useful for understanding the geometric nature of spacetime, while the contravariant form is useful for calculating the effects of matter and energy on the curvature of spacetime.

4. How do the Einstein Field Equations relate to the theory of general relativity?

The Einstein Field Equations are the cornerstone of the theory of general relativity. They describe how the curvature of spacetime is affected by the presence of matter and energy, and how this curvature in turn affects the motion of matter and energy. In essence, the Einstein Field Equations provide the mathematical framework for understanding the theory of general relativity.

5. Are the Einstein Field Equations the final word on understanding the nature of gravity?

While the Einstein Field Equations have been extremely successful in describing the behavior of gravity in our universe, they are not the final word on understanding its nature. There are still unanswered questions and areas of research, such as the search for a theory of quantum gravity, that may provide a more complete understanding of gravity. However, the Einstein Field Equations remain an important and foundational part of our understanding of gravity and the universe.