Question regarding effective resistance

• Thread starter Sanosuke Sagara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the speaker is facing a problem with a question on effective resistance and has spent many hours trying to find the answer. They have included the question and their solution in an attachment. They also mention needing more guidance on arranging resistors and express gratitude for anyone who has spent time on their question. The content is then corrected, stating that the effective resistance between points P and Q can be calculated using a balanced Wheatstone bridge and that the final effective resistance is equal to 1 ohm. The speaker expresses thanks for the help received.
Sanosuke Sagara
I am facing problem with a question regarding effective resistance.I have spend many hours on this question but still can't find the answer.I have my question and my solution in the attachment follows.

Finally,I need more guidance regarding the arrangement of resistors in many ways as I am very weak at this part.Thanks for anybody that spend sometime on my question.

Attachments

• 123.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 211
Physics news on Phys.org
U DID ARRANGE CORRECTLY BUT IT SEEMS U FORGOT U HAVE TO CALCULATE RESISTANCE BETWEEN POINTS P AND Q(see the attachment)

correction

to calculate eff R b/w P n Q
u can see its balanced wheat stone bridge so u can remove one 1 ohm resistor in b/w
finally u have two 2 ohm resistor in paralle

so eff R= 2||2=1

Attachments

• attachment.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for your help.i really glad that you have help me so much

1. What is effective resistance?

Effective resistance, also known as equivalent resistance, is the total resistance that a circuit has when all the resistors are replaced with a single resistor. It is a measure of the overall opposition to the flow of current in a circuit.

2. How is effective resistance calculated?

The effective resistance of a circuit can be calculated using the formula: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. For resistors in series, the effective resistance is simply the sum of all the resistances. For resistors in parallel, the reciprocal of the effective resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.

3. Why is effective resistance important?

Effective resistance is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex circuits. It allows us to simplify a circuit and analyze it more easily. It is also used to calculate the current and voltage in a circuit using Ohm's law (V = IR).

4. Can effective resistance be negative?

No, effective resistance cannot be negative. Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electricity, so it can never have a negative value. However, the effective resistance of a circuit can be zero if all the resistances in the circuit are connected in parallel.

5. How does temperature affect effective resistance?

Temperature can affect the effective resistance of a circuit, particularly for materials with temperature-dependent resistances, such as thermistors. As the temperature increases, the effective resistance of these materials decreases. This is due to the increase in the number of free electrons in the material, which allows for easier flow of current.