1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding empirical formula and molecular formula(finding 2 variables)A Lvel

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International A And AS Level/9701 - Chemistry/9701_s11_qp_12.pdf

question 10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The way I am doing it, is to get two equations in terms of x and y and then equate them. For the first equation I used the fact that all of the element's individual atomic masses will add up to 571.5. So i got 27x + 28.1y = 172
    My problem now is how to get the second equation? I think it has something to do with the empirical formula, but I can't figure it out. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    Re: question regarding empirical formula and molecular formula(finding 2 variables)A

If you remove the Al and Si from the formula, what is the charge on the resulting ion?

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: question regarding empirical formula and molecular formula(finding 2 variables)A

What is 14.04% of 571.5?

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

I think I got it, thanks to you. So for x we find 14.17% of 571.5. That answer we divide by 27, (because we know that the mole of aluminium is 1), and the x i got is 2.999(pretty close to one of the options). Same for y. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?