Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question Regarding Initial Conditions.

1. Apr 23, 2004 #1
    I was doing a question which involved using euler's method to numerically integrate the equation dy/dt=2ty^2 in the interval [0,1], with h=0.2 but no initial conditions were given. How do I find them. I know it's something simple but I can't get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You cannot "find" an initial condition if you only have a differential equation to begin with.
    The initial condition is an arbitrary parameter which secures the uniqueness of a solution to a differential equation problem. Without it, you have, in general, an infinity of solutions (the general solution).

However, knowing the general solution can give you a good hint as to which initial conditions may cause you trouble in a numerical procedure.

In your case, the general solution consists of the following functions:
    Y2(t)=-1/(C+t^(2)), C not eq. 0.

Y1(t) is the unique solution to the problem with init. cond. y(0)=0,
    while Y2(t) yields the unique solution for any other choice of y(0).

Note however, that if y(0) is positive, C will be negative, and there will exist two singularities in your solution, at t1=-sqrt(-C), t2=sqrt(-C).

For a numerical integration with an arbitrary parameter y(0) included, this will be destructive.
    The most general and safe way to proceed is to assume y(0)=-a^(2), where a is a real number.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?