Question Regarding Math Graduate School

In summary, the individual has a strong academic background and has been preparing for a Ph.D. program by securing recommendations, reviewing undergraduate material, and researching prospective programs. They are seeking advice on how to further prepare themselves and which tier of schools to apply to, and are wondering if their actuarial background will help or hurt their chances. They have been advised to reach out to faculty, consider taking advanced math courses, and highlight their research interests in their application.
swishersweet
My Background:

I am some what of an atypical math phd program applicant. I graduated from a top liberal arts school with a 3.8 gpa (4.0 math) and have spent the last two years working as an actuary. Those two years in the insurance industry earned me my actuarial designation as well as an understanding that insurance is not for me. I recently decided to apply to PHD programs and have been securing recommendations, reviewing my undergraduate material in preparation for the GRE (I took a practice exam before i started studying and got 75th percentile), and researching prospective programs. Oh and I also spent one summer (after my junior year) doing undergraduate econometric research.

My questions:

1) Is there anything more I can do to prepare myself for school/increase my chance of being accepted?

2) What tier of school should I be applying to. Obviously I am not going to waste my time applying to a Harvard or MIT but do i have a chance at a top 20 school?

3) Will my actuarial background help or hurt my chances (note i am applying to PURE programs, not applied or stats).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It is great to hear that you have a strong academic background and have already taken steps to prepare for your Ph.D. program application. let me offer some insights and advice based on my experience with Ph.D. programs and admissions.

1) To further prepare yourself for the program, I would suggest reaching out to faculty members at the schools you are interested in. This will not only give you a chance to learn more about the program, but it also shows your interest and dedication to the field. Additionally, you can consider taking advanced math courses or attending conferences in your field to expand your knowledge and network with other researchers.

2) When it comes to choosing which tier of school to apply to, it is important to consider the faculty and research opportunities available at each institution. The top 20 schools may have more resources and renowned faculty, but that does not necessarily mean they are the best fit for your research interests. I would recommend applying to a range of schools, including some top 20 schools, to increase your chances of being accepted and to have multiple options to choose from.

3) Your actuarial background can definitely be a valuable asset in your application. It shows that you have practical experience in the field and have already achieved a professional designation. However, it is important to also highlight your research experience and interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in pure mathematics. Admissions committees will be looking for candidates who have a strong background in math and a passion for research, so make sure to showcase these qualities in your application.

Overall, I would encourage you to continue your preparation and research for Ph.D. programs and to reach out to faculty and current students for more insights and advice. Best of luck in your application process!

1. What kind of math background do I need for graduate school in mathematics?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra before applying to graduate school in mathematics. Depending on the program, additional courses in real analysis, complex analysis, and differential equations may also be required.

2. What is the difference between a master's and a PhD in mathematics?

A master's degree in mathematics typically involves coursework and a thesis project, while a PhD requires coursework, original research, and a dissertation. A master's degree can lead to industry jobs, while a PhD is necessary for academic and research positions.

3. How do I choose a graduate program in mathematics?

Consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and location when choosing a graduate program in mathematics. It's also important to research the program's curriculum and requirements to ensure it aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in computer science for graduate school in mathematics?

While a background in computer science can be beneficial for some areas of mathematics, it is not a requirement for graduate school. However, familiarity with programming languages such as MATLAB and Python may be helpful for completing research projects and data analysis.

5. Can I apply to graduate school in mathematics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many graduate programs in mathematics accept students with undergraduate degrees in related fields such as physics, engineering, or computer science. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and to have completed prerequisite courses before applying.