1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding matrix multiplication

1. May 17, 2005 #1

When one is trying to multiply two matrices of different sizes e.g. a 2x3 and a 3x3. I know that one has to use the column-row-rule which states:

[tex]AB_{ij} = a_{i1} b_{1j} + a_{i2} b_{2j} + \cdots + a_{i n} b_{m j} [/tex]

Looking at the following example:

[tex] A= \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 7 & 2 & 0 \\ -4 & 6 & 2 \\ -1 & \frac{2}{5} & \frac{7}{5} \end{array} \right] \ \ \ B = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 7 & 2 & 0 \\ -4 & 6 & 2 \\ \end{array} \right][/tex]

Using the column-row-rule I calculate the matrix-product AB:

[tex] AB= \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 7 & 2 & 0 \\ \\ \\ \end{array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{cc} -4 &7 \\ 6 &2 \\ 2 & 0 \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} -16 & 53 \\ \\ \\ \end{array} \right] [/tex]

But if I then write the B-matrix upside-down I get:

[tex] AB= \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 7 & 2 & 0 \\ \\ \\ \end{array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 0 &2 \\ 2 & 6 \\ 7 & -4 \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 4 & 30 \\ \\ \\ \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Which of the two results is the correct approach to compute the matrix-product AB ???

Does there exist a rule in linear algebra which allows me to predetermain if the product of two matrices A and B both not of the same size ( A is n x n and B is m x n ) gives the resulting matrix C which has a different size than A and B ???

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2
    you can't do A*B, you can do B*A but A*B is impossible.

its pretty easy to remember 2x3*3x3 is a 2x3 (just look at the outer numbers, also the inner ones must be the same to be able to multiplicate em)
  4. May 17, 2005 #3
    Okay then the operation I did by tilting the matrix B is illegal. SORRY.

Then the rows of the matrices A and B has to be equal in-order for the matrix-product AB to be legal??

In general terms I guess that implies if a matrix A is n x n and a matrix B is m x n then the matrix-product AB is m x n ???

But there isn't a rule/theorem which details this??

5. May 17, 2005 #4
    If a matrix A is n x n and a matrix B is m x n then the matrix-product AB does't exist at all. You can compute only BA.
    In general. If A is m x k, and B is k x n, than AB is m x n. But BA isn't defined. Number of columns of first matrix must be equal to number of rows of second
  6. May 17, 2005 #5

I think you're still confused.

For A*B to be defined, the # of columns in A has to equal the # of rows in B. So A(j,k)*B(k,m) = C(j,m). But A(j,k)*B(m,n) is not defined unless k=m.

No theory is really required for this; it's just the definition of matrix multiplication.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?