Question regarding mutual inductance of two coil

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with flux linkage and how it relates to inductance. The solution is provided and it is suggested to seek help from engineers for a better understanding. An alternative method for solving the problem is also proposed.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have my question,solution and the problem I faced in the attachment that followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.

Attachments

• Doc7.doc
    33 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
Please , I really need someone help me figure out where I have done wrong.

Sanosuke Sagara said:
Please , I really need someone help me figure out where I have done wrong.

I think you did everything correct. The flux linkage is: [tex]N\Phi[/tex] not [tex]\Phi[/tex] (this is only for 1 turn, not the entire coil). So for coil 1 you get:

[tex]N\Phi=100*(1.5*10^{-6})=150\mu WB[/tex]

and coil 2:

[tex]N\Phi=200*(9*10^{-8})=18 \mu WB[/tex]

Last edited:
Sanosuke Sagara said:
I have my question,solution and the problem I faced in the attachment that followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.
I take it that you are having problems with the flux linkage questions because you seem to have figured out the induced voltages. You may want to ask some engineers about flux linkage. It is a concept used more in engineering, but I will give it a shot.

Flux linkage is a measure of how much magnetic field produced by the coil is enclosed by the coil windings. It seems to be a relationship between flux enclosed by the coil and the actual current - I think. Inductance expressed in terms of the actual current I is

(1) [tex]L = nB\cdot A/I[/tex]

where n is the number of windings, B the magnetic field in the coil and A the cross-sectional area.

The term [itex]\lambda = nB\cdot A[/itex] is called the flux linkage.

But since you are given L and I, you can work out flux linkage from (1).

Does that help?

AM

Thanks for your help ,Andrew Mason and learningphysics.I now can understand with the question already.

Sanosuke Sagara said:
Thanks for your help ,Andrew Mason and learningphysics.I now can understand with the question already.

I think an easier way to answer part a) is just to use the definition of inductance.

[tex]L_1=N_1\Phi_1/I_1[/tex]
[tex]25*10^{-3}=100(\Phi_1)/6*10^{-3}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi_1=1.5*10^{-6}[/tex]
[tex]N\Phi_1=100(1.5*10^{-6})=150 \mu WB[/tex]

What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is the measure of the ability of two coils to influence each other's current flow. It is a property of the magnetic field created by one coil that affects the magnetic field of the other coil.

How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by dividing the change in current in one coil by the change in magnetic flux in the other coil. It is measured in henries (H).

What factors affect mutual inductance?

The number of turns in each coil, the distance between the coils, and the material of the cores of the coils can all affect mutual inductance. Other factors include the orientation of the coils and the frequency of the alternating current.

What is the relationship between mutual inductance and self inductance?

Mutual inductance and self inductance are related, as they both measure the ability of a coil to induce a current in itself or in another coil. However, mutual inductance involves two separate coils, while self inductance only involves one coil.

What are some applications of mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance has many practical applications, including in transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless power transfer and electromagnetic compatibility testing. Mutual inductance is also important in the field of electronics and circuit design.