Question regarding online bagging (bootstrap)

• Thread starter cc2709
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bootstrap
In summary, online bagging, also known as bootstrap aggregating, is a machine learning ensemble method for improving the accuracy of predictive models. It works by randomly selecting subsets of the training data, training a model on each subset, and then combining their predictions to make a final prediction. The advantages of using online bagging include reducing overfitting and allowing for the use of a variety of models. However, it can be computationally expensive and may not be suitable for all types of data. To implement online bagging, a dataset, machine learning algorithm, and the number of models and their combination must be determined. There are also various libraries and tools available to assist with implementation.
cc2709
Hello guys,

I'm trying to understand the proof of convergence for online bagging/bootstrap, in the Oza's paper an expression says:

θ ~ [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{t=0}[/itex]P(Poisson(N)=t)Multinomial(t,1/N)

θ may represents a vector with each element being a real value;
Poisson() is the Poisson distribution;
t is certain real value;
Multinomial() is the multinomial distribution...

But I am totally lost when put all these stuff together
what's that mean by adding up the multiplication of a probability with a distribution?

I don't have a solid background on probability and I've been tortured by these for a while...hopefully I can get some suggestion...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The expression you mentioned is used to describe the convergence of online bagging/bootstrap. Let me break it down for you to better understand it.

First, the expression is using the symbol θ to represent a vector with each element being a real value. This vector represents the parameters or weights of a model.

Next, the Poisson distribution is used to model the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space. In this case, it is used to model the number of times a data point is sampled in the online bagging/bootstrap process. The parameter N in the Poisson distribution represents the average number of events in the interval.

Moving on to the term P(Poisson(N)=t), this represents the probability of the Poisson distribution where t is a certain real value. This can be interpreted as the probability of a data point being sampled t times in the online bagging/bootstrap process.

The Multinomial distribution is used to model the probability of multiple outcomes occurring simultaneously. In this context, it is used to model the probability of a data point being selected for a specific model in the online bagging/bootstrap process. The parameter t in the Multinomial distribution represents the number of trials, and 1/N represents the probability of selecting a specific model.

Finally, the expression is adding up the multiplication of the probability of a data point being selected t times with the probability of selecting a specific model. This is essentially calculating the overall probability of a data point being selected for a specific model in the online bagging/bootstrap process.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the expression and the concept of convergence in online bagging/bootstrap. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

What is online bagging?

Online bagging, also known as bootstrap aggregating, is a machine learning ensemble method for improving the accuracy of predictive models. It involves training multiple models on different subsets of the data and then combining their predictions to make a final prediction.

How does online bagging work?

Online bagging works by randomly selecting subsets of the training data with replacement, training a model on each subset, and then combining the predictions of all the models to make a final prediction. This helps to reduce overfitting and improve the overall accuracy of the model.

What are the advantages of using online bagging?

Using online bagging can help to improve the accuracy and stability of predictive models by reducing overfitting. It also allows for the use of a variety of different models, which can help to capture different aspects of the data and improve overall performance.

Are there any limitations to using online bagging?

One limitation of online bagging is that it can be computationally expensive, as it involves training multiple models. It also may not be suitable for all types of data, as it works best on large datasets with a diverse range of features.

How do I implement online bagging in my own research?

To implement online bagging, you will need to have a dataset and a machine learning algorithm that can handle multiple subsets of data. You will also need to determine the number of models to use and how to combine their predictions. There are also many libraries and tools available that can assist with implementing online bagging in your research.