1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Physics Principles

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    I made something of a kinetic sculpture for a project in class. The problem is, I'm having trouble describing the physics principles behind it. Here is the kinetic sculpture in a nutshell, so to speak. A mini fan, powered by batteries, makes a propeller move. There's two "resonance chambers" of a windchime attached to the propeller, so while the propeller moves, the little chambers from the windchime make sound. Now, I was hoping to use torque, wave/sound, wind, friction, and energy, as my principles, but It's hard for me to explain, in terms of the project. Can anybody help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2
    Sounds like you already know what youre doing.
    Are you trying to say something along the lines of: The elec energy from the battery turns into mechanical energy in the propeller ... etc?
  4. Jun 1, 2005 #3
    ^That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Can you help me out?
  5. Jun 2, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a lot going on there. The wind chimes alone could be a nice topic of discussion. Why do chimes of different lengths produce different tones?

Is something hitting your chimes? or are they just swinging through the air making sound because the air is blowing over them?
  6. Jun 3, 2005 #5
    Just have a think about whats happening in each situation. How is each thing possible?

Ok, so theres a potential electrical energy inthe batteries. It is used up turning the fan. ie mechanical energy. Then just think about how the sound is generated in the resonance chambers.

Keep asking questions if youre unsure.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?