1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding radius of circular paths (chapter the nucleus)

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    I have my doubt,solution and question in the attachment that followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2
    OK the problem with your solution is that You have made it a bit too complicated.
    First of all ,
    After accelerating through a potential , the electrons gain certain amount of K.E , which can be calculate din the following way:

[itex]eV= \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]

From The KE , calculate velocity gained by the electron beam.

Now if you have studied how charged particles behave in magnetic fields, you should know that electrons when enter prependicular to a magnetic field, start moving in a circle.

Force due to a Magnetic field on an electron provides the centripedal force necessary for moving in circle. therefore,

F= -e(VxB) = m \frac{v^2}{R}

From here calculate the radius of the beam...easy ..isnt it?
  4. May 20, 2005 #3
    Yes,Dr Brain.Thanks for your help and I really appreciate it.Thanks again for your explaination in detail.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?