Question regarding resistors and potentiometer

In summary, the speaker has been struggling to solve a question and is asking for assistance. They then provide details about a circuit involving a 4 volt battery, a 1 ohm rheostat, and a 2 ohm wire. They mention measuring the midpoint of the wire and calculating the total parallel resistance of a 20 ohm voltmeter and a 1 ohm resistor. They then conclude by stating that the circuit is a potential divider and thanking someone for their help in understanding the solution.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have spend many hours trying to solve this question but still can't figure out the answer.I hope that somebody will help me with this question.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.

I have my question and solution in the attachment followed.

Attachments

• resistor.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 275
Physics news on Phys.org
Please , I really need somebody to help me figure out this question and I thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.

Sanosuke

consider the 4 volt battery, the 1 ohm rheostat and the 2 ohm wire .

We are measuring the midpoint of the wire so we can assume R to be approx. 1 ohm x2

So far we have the 4 volt battery and a 2ohm resistor and a 1 ohm resistor all in series . ( add the individual resistances )

We are now measuring the pd across the 1 ohm resistor .
But the voltmeter has a series resistance of 20 ohm .
So calculate the total parallel resistance of the 20 ohm and 1 ohm resistance...
Now we just find the voltage drop across the combined resistance

The circuit is a potential divider so voltage drop is :

R / TOTAL resistance X V

(20/21) / (62/21) X 4 volts

= 1.29 volts

Thanks for your help, Roger.With your help,I finally know how and why you used this way to solve this question.Thanks !

1. What is the function of a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of electricity that passes through a circuit and to protect other components from receiving too much current.

2. How does a resistor affect the flow of electricity?

A resistor limits the flow of electricity by creating resistance in a circuit. This resistance is measured in ohms and is determined by the material, length, and width of the resistor. The higher the resistance, the less current can flow through the circuit.

3. What is the difference between a fixed resistor and a variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a set resistance value that cannot be changed, while a variable resistor (also known as a potentiometer) allows for the resistance to be adjusted by turning a dial or knob. This makes variable resistors useful for controlling the flow of current in a circuit.

4. How can a potentiometer be used as a voltage divider?

A potentiometer can be used as a voltage divider by connecting two points of the resistor to different points in a circuit. The voltage between these two points will be determined by the position of the wiper (the adjustable part of the potentiometer). This allows for precise control of the voltage in a circuit.

5. What are some common uses for resistors and potentiometers?

Resistors are used in many electronic devices and circuits, such as computers, radios, and televisions. They are also used in power supplies to regulate voltage. Potentiometers are commonly used in audio equipment to control volume and tone, as well as in lighting circuits to adjust the brightness of lights.