1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question Regarding Resume

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

Is it customary to provide insight into my academic interests, and details regarding those interests on my actual resume? I am rather ignorant as to how in depth a professional resume actually goes. I am creating the resume to get my foot into the industry in the Electrical Engineering sector. I have no experience in this realm (yet).

Thanks in advance for any clarrification.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The best strategy is to write a generic resume as a base and then customize it toward the job you are going after.

With respect to academic interests could you elaborate more? Is this like an interest in some foreign language like Russian because you wanted to read papers from scientists of that country?

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    I was more referring to areas of focus within a degree. For example, merely indicating that you studied Electrical Engineering seems rather broad. Would one indicate, for example, they specialized in power and energy, devices, circuits and sensors (or electronic materials and electromagnetodynamics, etc)?

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There are a number of things that I look for on a resume when I'm reading submissions from interview candidates. Depending on the position and the level of experience we are looking for, I look for specific skills and experiences (and interests) on the resume, rather than just general background information.

I also like to see practical experience on a resume -- either job experience, or experience building personal projects for folks who are just coming out of school (or are applying for internships).

I'd be happy to look over your draft resume and provide feedback if you like. PM me if you're interested, and I'll PM you my work e-mail address. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook