Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding sleeping

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    My brother sleeps with one of his eyelids slightly open, allowing his eye to be exposed. It is really small (a sliver really). Has anyone heard about this? I'm also curious if it is harmful. On a sidenote, it's interesting to watch when he is in REM.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

My mother is the same! I don't think it would be harmful though. And you know I've heard some people sleep with open eyes.(I mean the eyes are completely open during the sleep. :bugeye:)

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

Mk

Oh my god, that sounds weird :bugeye: Do the people sleeping with open eyes fall into a REM sleep?

5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

Personally I've not seen any person who can sleep with open eyes, but I've heard it alot. ( I'm still in doubt about it .)

6. Jan 14, 2006 #5
    Believe me it’s possible.
    In my first high school year, we’ve (my class) organized trip to seaside. Organization was pretty poor ;), and we ended in some lousy hotel with 3 persons per 1 bed ratio :). We’ve packed ourselves in beds in sardine can fashion. And in about 5 am I’ve woke up, just to see guy by me, lying like dead. Both eyes wide open, with open mouth, almost not breathing. By the way he has large spooky blue eyes. I’ve waved in front of his head, and nothing, so I woke up everybody to see this. It’s totally crazy and funny in some way. We were loud enough so he woke up, and told us that he always sleep with his eyes open, I mean he starts sleeping with closed eyes, but after a while his eyes get opened.

7. Jan 15, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is your brother's name Gandalf?

8. Jan 15, 2006 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

For sure you were really scared at first!:uhh:

9. Jan 15, 2006 #8
    yeah, that sound spooky...

anyway, i found you something:

http://www.cdlsusa.org/publications/ask-the-doctor_sleeping-with-eyes-open.html

and from here http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/archive/11403.html

hope that helps....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  10. Jan 16, 2006 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanks, it helped!

11. Jan 16, 2006 #10
    youre welcome, it was my pleasure :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?