How to Select a Solenoid for Tensioning a Chain on a Rotating Bobbin?

• Thread starter Ameya Joshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, Ameya is looking for guidance in selecting a solenoid actuator to tension a chain for a rotating bobbin weighing 9081 kgs at 100 rpm. They have calculated a braking torque of 35 KN-m, but their knowledge on solenoids is limited. They are seeking clarification on how the solenoid will apply tension and if it involves longitudinal displacement.
Ameya Joshi
I need to select a solenoid actuator for tensioning a chain. The chain is for a bobbin which rotates at 100 rpm. The weight of the bobbin is 9081 kgs. I calculated the braking torque of 35 KN-m but as my knowledge is very limited for solenoids i wish to know how can i select a solenoid for this arrangement?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, Ameya. Unless this is a common arrangement that people should automatically be familiar with, I think that more information is required as to what you need. For instance, in what way does the solenoid apply this tension? You mention braking, but tensioning usually implies to me a longitudinal displacement to take up slack. Can you please clarify your question?

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a core. When an electric current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to move objects or control the flow of electricity.

How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels other magnetic objects. This movement can be used to open or close valves, move objects, or control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

What are some common uses of solenoids?

Solenoids have a variety of uses in everyday objects. Some common examples include doorbells, electric locks, printers, and automatic transmission systems in cars. They are also frequently used in industrial settings for tasks such as controlling fluid flow or moving objects on a production line.

What factors affect the strength of a solenoid?

The strength of a solenoid depends on several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the material of the core. Increasing any of these factors can increase the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when working with solenoids?

When working with solenoids, it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with electricity and strong magnetic fields. Always make sure to disconnect the power source before handling a solenoid, and use caution when working with high voltage or high current solenoids. It is also important to properly insulate and protect the wires and connections to prevent electric shock or short circuits.