Question regarding sound waves

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding sound waves. The question asks for the sound intensity level at point C when two small speakers emit sound waves of different frequencies with different outputs. The answers for each scenario are provided, but the person asking the question is having trouble finding a similar question in a reference book. Additional information is given about the distances between the speakers and point C.
Himura Kenshin
Question regarding on sound waves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,I just join in as member yesterday.Sorry to interrupt that I have question to ask.Here's the question.

1.Two small speakers emit sound waves of different frequencies.Speaker A has an output of 1.0mW and speakerB has an output of 1.5mW.Determine the sound intensity level (in dB) at point C if

(a) only speaker A emits sound (Answer 65.0 dB)
(b) only speaker B emits sound (Answer 67.8 dB)
(c) both speakers emit sound (Answer 69.6dB )

I have try searching for the similar question on reference book but can't find any question similar to this.I still can't figure out the answer.

Thank you for anyone who help in solving this question.I really appreciate it !

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the relative positions of the two speakers and the location of point C?

Additional information on this question

Sorry for not including the information you need.

(Distance of speaker A from O is 3.0m and the distance of speaker B from O is 2.0m.Point C is horizontally at a distance of 4.0m from O)

Thanks for giving help in this question.

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are vibrations that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and can be heard by the human ear. They are created by the movement of an object or disturbance in the medium, and travel in all directions from the source.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel in a longitudinal motion, meaning that the particles in the medium vibrate back and forth in the same direction that the wave is traveling. This allows the wave to propagate through the medium and reach our ears.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound waves?

The speed of sound waves can be affected by the density and temperature of the medium they are traveling through. In general, sound waves travel faster through denser and warmer mediums.

4. Can sound waves travel through a vacuum?

No, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum because there are no particles for the vibrations to pass through. Therefore, sound cannot be heard in outer space where there is no medium present.

5. How is sound wave frequency related to pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to the pitch we perceive. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches, while lower frequencies correspond to lower pitches. This is why musical notes with higher frequencies are considered to have a higher pitch than those with lower frequencies.