Question regarding Supernova SN1987

• Thread starter Oblivion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary, the gas ring surrounding Supernova SN1987A is a result of the star going supernova. This is because as the core collapses, the outer layers of the star are ejected. However, there is a difference in velocity between the gas ring and the shockwave. This is due to the recoil effect from the core collapse, which gives the gas shell a huge jolt of energy. This explains how the gas ring got outside the shockwave in the first place. Additionally, according to a source, Type II supernovae like 1987A have expanding gas shells and shockwaves, which is further discussed in relation to SN 1987A.
Oblivion
I have a question regarding Supernova SN1987A. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the gas ring that surrounds it was the result of the explosion itself, or if it was there prior to it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's the result of the star going supernova. As the core collapses, the outer layers of the star are ejected.

Ok that's what I figured, but this brings up another question: the gas ring is supposed to become more visible as the shockwave approaches. However, I was wondering how the gas ring got outside the shockwave in the first place, and why is there a difference in velocity between the two?

When the core collapses, there is a recoil effect. In a supernova, this gives the gas shell a huge jolt of energy. Bear in mind, the initial collapse basically leaves the outer atmosphere as an abandoned child [when the core of the sun collapses, the outer shell will be outside the orbit of the Earth and the collapsed core will be about the same size as earth]. The aftershock of the core collapse propels the atmosphere.

Oblivion said:
Ok that's what I figured, but this brings up another question: the gas ring is supposed to become more visible as the shockwave approaches. However, I was wondering how the gas ring got outside the shockwave in the first place, and why is there a difference in velocity between the two?
This site here: http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit3/supernova.html gives a good explanation of Type II supernovae (like 1987A) and even explains the expanding gass shells and shockwave as you are discussing.

Lower down the page, SN 1987A in particular is discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Supernova SN1987 and why is it significant?

Supernova SN1987 is a type II supernova explosion that occurred in the Large Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy of our own Milky Way. It is significant because it was the closest supernova to Earth in over 400 years and one of the brightest events observed in modern astronomy.

2. When did Supernova SN1987 occur?

Supernova SN1987 occurred on February 23, 1987.

3. How far away is Supernova SN1987 from Earth?

The distance of Supernova SN1987 from Earth is approximately 168,000 light years.

4. What caused Supernova SN1987 to explode?

Supernova SN1987 was caused by the collapse of a massive star, known as a red supergiant, at the end of its life. This collapse led to a massive explosion, releasing a tremendous amount of energy and creating the supernova.

5. How did the observation of Supernova SN1987 impact our understanding of the universe?

The observation of Supernova SN1987 provided important insights into the processes of stellar evolution and the mechanisms of supernova explosions. It also helped confirm many existing theories and provided new data for further research in the field of astrophysics.