1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding tension and acceleration

1. Nov 30, 2004 #1
    I have my question and my solution in my attachment.don't worry,just unzipped the file and no virus contains inside.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2
    Help,Somebody help me figure out whether my solution for the question is right or not.
    Thanks for anyone who spend some time on this question.

4. Nov 30, 2004 #3
    Anybody please help me !! My solution for the question is inside the attachment.just unzipped it .

5. Nov 30, 2004 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since there is no acceleration, initially, The force applied by the spring is equal to gravity:

F - (x + y)g = (x + y)a = 0 where F is the force of the spring.

F = (x+y)g

when y is cut loose, F remains the same, initially (F = kd)

F - xg = xa

So a = F/x - g

Since F = (x+y)g

a = ((x + y)g/x) - g

a = gy/x

Substituting values for x = .5 and y = .1:

a = 10 (.1)/.5) = 2 m/sec2

This makes sense, since the force that pulls the spring down from its equilibrium position with just x on the spring, is just the force of gravity on y.

AM

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  6. Nov 30, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand your solution. Start by identifying the forces acting on the top mass before the string is burned. Then find the net force on the top mass after the string is burned. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Edit: This was meant for Sanosuke Sagara; but Andrew has solved it for you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  7. Dec 1, 2004 #6
    Thanks for your help,Andrew Mason and mentor Doc Al.I finally have understand with the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?