Question regarding tension and friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks connected by a rope and being dragged by a horizontal force. The first part of the problem asks for the tension of the rope, which was found to be 22N. The question then arises about how to find the acceleration, with the incorrect answer being 2.095m/s^2. The solution suggests balancing forces and using Newton's second law to find a system of equations with two unknowns. The problem is due at midnight central time.
tristan_fc
Okay, well I've been working on this assignment forever now, and I have it all correct, but one last bit. Here's the problem.

Two blocks connected by a rope of negligible mass are being dragged by a horizontal force F. Suppose that F = 66.0 N, m1 = 10.0 kg, m2 = 20.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.105.

The first part asked for the Tension of the rope between the blocks. I found that to be 22N. I have no idea how, because I had to find the acceleration to find the tension. I found the acceleration to be(incorrectly according to webassign) 2.095m/s^2.

So my question is how do I find the acceleration? I've done it every way I could see, and got 2.095 every time. Any ideas?

One more thing, this problem is due midnight central time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all 66>(10+20)*10*0.105 so the system accelerates forward.
Both blocks will move with the same acceleration (obviously) so you just have to balance the forces on each block and write Newton's second. You'll get a system of two equations with two unknowns: a and T. Like this:
m1a=F-m1gμ-T

Hi there,

It seems like you have already done the majority of the problem correctly. The tension of the rope between the blocks can be found by using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the net force is the horizontal force F, and the mass is the combined mass of the two blocks (10.0 kg + 20.0 kg = 30.0 kg). So, the tension can be calculated as T = (30.0 kg)(2.095 m/s^2) = 22 N.

As for finding the acceleration, you can use the formula F=ma again, but this time the net force is the difference between the applied force F and the force of friction. The force of friction can be calculated as the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.105) multiplied by the normal force (which is equal to the weight of the block, m*g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8 m/s^2). So, the equation would be F-Ff=ma, where Ff = (0.105)(10.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) + (0.105)(20.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 31.5 N. Plugging in the given values, we get (66.0 N - 31.5 N)/30.0 kg = a, which gives us an acceleration of 1.45 m/s^2.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion you had. Good luck with your assignment and don't forget to submit it before midnight central time!

Hi there,

First of all, great job on finding the tension of the rope between the blocks! To find the acceleration, you can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the net force is the horizontal force F and the force of friction, which is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the normal force (Ff=μN). The normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which is mg. So, you can set up the equation as follows:

F-Ff=ma

Substituting the given values, we get:

66.0 N - (0.105)(10.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) - (0.105)(20.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = (10.0 kg + 20.0 kg)a

Solving for a, we get:

a = 0.668 m/s^2

This is the correct acceleration, not 2.095 m/s^2. Make sure to double check your calculations and units to avoid any errors. Also, don't forget to include the negative sign for the force of friction, as it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your assignment and don't forget to submit it before the deadline.

1. What is tension and friction?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. Friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other.

2. What is the difference between tension and friction?

The main difference between tension and friction is the direction of the force. Tension is a pulling force, while friction is a resisting force that acts opposite to the direction of motion.

3. How do tension and friction affect objects?

Tension and friction both affect an object's motion. Tension can either accelerate or decelerate an object's movement, while friction slows down an object's motion and can cause it to stop.

4. What factors affect tension and friction?

The amount of tension and friction depends on various factors, including the type of surfaces involved, the amount of force applied, the mass of the object, and the presence of any lubricants.

5. How can tension and friction be reduced?

To reduce tension, you can decrease the force applied or use tools such as pulleys to distribute the force. Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, smoothing out surfaces, or using wheels and bearings to reduce direct contact between surfaces.