Question regarding tension

Homework Statement

In a physics experiment on static friction, two objects made of identical material are tied together with string. The first object has a mass of 5.0Kg and the second object has a mass of 3.0Kg. Students measure the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface.

What is the magnitude of the tension in the string if they pull on the first object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't even know where to start, the question is worded very confusingly and i cant make sense of it :/
like when he says if they pull on the first object, don't you need to know what force they are pulling with? Also what does he mean "the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface."? Anyways, please help me understand how to do this question.[/B]

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

Homework Statement

In a physics experiment on static friction, two objects made of identical material are tied together with string. The first object has a mass of 5.0Kg and the second object has a mass of 3.0Kg. Students measure the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface.

What is the magnitude of the tension in the string if they pull on the first object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't even know where to start, the question is worded very confusingly and i cant make sense of it :/
like when he says if they pull on the first object, don't you need to know what force they are pulling with? Also what does he mean "the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface."? Anyways, please help me understand how to do this question.[/B]

Perhaps forget that there are two objects for now. How would you experimentally determine the force of static friction?