How Is Tension Calculated in a Two-Object System with Static Friction?

• Thread starter MrNation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics experiment on static friction involving two objects of identical material tied together with string. The first object has a mass of 5.0Kg and the second object has a mass of 3.0Kg. The maximum force of static friction is measured as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface. The question asks for the magnitude of tension in the string when pulling on the first object. The approach to solving this problem may involve disregarding the second object and focusing on determining the force of static friction experimentally.
MrNation

Homework Statement

In a physics experiment on static friction, two objects made of identical material are tied together with string. The first object has a mass of 5.0Kg and the second object has a mass of 3.0Kg. Students measure the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface.

What is the magnitude of the tension in the string if they pull on the first object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't even know where to start, the question is worded very confusingly and i can't make sense of it :/
like when he says if they pull on the first object, don't you need to know what force they are pulling with? Also what does he mean "the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface."? Anyways, please help me understand how to do this question.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
MrNation said:

Homework Statement

In a physics experiment on static friction, two objects made of identical material are tied together with string. The first object has a mass of 5.0Kg and the second object has a mass of 3.0Kg. Students measure the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface.

What is the magnitude of the tension in the string if they pull on the first object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't even know where to start, the question is worded very confusingly and i can't make sense of it :/
like when he says if they pull on the first object, don't you need to know what force they are pulling with? Also what does he mean "the maximum force of static friction as 31.4 N to move both objects across a horizontal surface."? Anyways, please help me understand how to do this question.[/B]

Perhaps forget that there are two objects for now. How would you experimentally determine the force of static friction?

1. What is tension?

Tension refers to the force that is pulling or stretching an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are opposite forces. Tension pulls an object apart, while compression pushes an object together. Both forces act along the same line, but in opposite directions.

3. How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a spring scale, which measures the amount of force required to stretch or pull an object.

4. What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension in an object is affected by its mass, the force applied to it, and the type of material it is made of. Other factors, such as temperature and the presence of other forces, can also affect tension.

5. How is tension used in science?

Tension is an important concept in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects under stress, such as bridges and muscles. It also plays a role in concepts like buoyancy and electricity.