Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding tensors derive acceleration in polar form

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I'm having trouble with this question. It's from Rindler's Introduction to Special Relativity which I'm going through myself. I'm just starting to learn about tensors.

<<<<i) A vector [tex]A^i[/tex] has components [tex]\dot{x}, \dot{y}[/tex] in rectangular Cartesian coordinates; what are its components in polar coordinates?>>>>

This part I believe I know. The components are [tex]\dot{r}, r\dot{\theta}[/tex]. The first component is the [tex]a_r[/tex] component and the second is the [tex]a_{\theta}[/tex] component.

<<<<ii) A vector [tex]B^i[/tex] has components [tex]\ddot{x}, \ddot{y}[/tex] in rectangular Cartesian coordinates; prove, directly from A.3 that its components in polar coordinates are [tex]\ddot{r}-r{(\ddot{\theta})}^2, \ddot{\theta}+2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}/r[/tex]>>>>

This is what A.3 says:
    <<<<An object having components [tex]A^{ij....n}[/tex] in the [tex]x^i[/tex] system of coordinates and [tex]A^{i'j'...n'}[/tex] in the [tex]x^{i'}[/tex] system is said to behave as a contravariant tensor under the transformation [tex]\{x^i\}->\{x^{i'}\}[/tex] if [tex]A^{i'j'....n'}=A^{ij....n}{p_i}^{i'}{p_j}^{j'}....{p_n}^{n'}[/tex]>>>>

I'm not sure how this is to be done. The [tex]a_{\theta}[/tex] coordinate in part ii) seems to be divided by r. I don't know if this is a mistake in the book or there is some reason for it.

How do I use the definition of contravariant tensors to derive the formula for acceleration in polar coordinates? I really have no clue. I can derive the formula just using derivatives, but I don't see how to use tensors to derive it.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] A' ^{i}=\frac{\partial x' ^{i}}{\partial x^{j}} A^{j} [/tex] (1)

For

[tex] A^{j}=\left(\dot{x},\dot{y}\right) [/tex] (2)

So

[tex] A'^{1}=\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} \dot{x}+\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial y} \dot{y} =\cos\phi \ \left(\dot{\rho}\cos\phi-\rho\dot{\phi}\sin\phi\right)+\sin\phi \ \left(\dot{\rho}\sin\phi+\rho\dot{\phi}\cos\phi\right)=\dot{\rho} [/tex]

This is for the first comp of the transformed velocity.

U do the other "3" (one for velocity & 2 for acceleration).

Daniel.

4. Jun 21, 2005 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Cool! Thanks a bunch dexter! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?