1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Trusses

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

u7MCJe0.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First i Found the external forces. Ax =0 , Ay = 8Kn, Jy=8Kn and P = -16Kn
    Then i took moment about point G to eliminate FH and EG and so was able to find CH = 14.66Kn.

I am kind of stuck on how to tackle the problem further. Where should i take moment in order to find either FG or EG. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

EJC

It's been a long time since I've done these - but if you take the moment about A, forces CH and FG will disappear, and all you will be left with is EG and P... right? I was never good at the method of sections, although it can save you a bunch of time.

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3
    First, identify the zero-load members.

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4
    Scratch that. You are asked for the forces in FG, EG, and CH, so cut your plane through those 3 members and sum X and Y forces and moments. You did moments to get CH, so now write the X and Y equations for your section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted