1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding two bodies where one has constant acceleration and the other hs constant velocity

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    Say we have two cars, Car A and Car B. Car A is 25 meters ahead and has a constant velocity. Car B has the exact same velocity at the moment of observation, but also has a constant positive acceleration.

If I want to calculate how long it takes for Car B to overtake Car A, wouldn't it be the same as calculating how long it takes car B to go 25 meters from standing still?

I know how to calculate it if this is correct, I just need to know if it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I think you can answer this one for yourself. Write the kinematic equations for both cars and and subtract them (if you want their positions equal, you want ##P_B - P_A = 0##. Set it equal to zero and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted