Question regarding using existing technologies to make 3-D laser display

• Thread starter Kg91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of IR viewing plates for tracking IR laser points. The screens are made of specific pigments, but they are not readily available for purchase. The individual is interested in using these pigments for creating 3D images using a combination of UV and IR light sources. However, there are limitations and considerations to be made, such as the properties of the pigments and the effectiveness of different light sources. Further research and experimentation may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
Kg91
I want to start off with an IR viewing plate to get the initial material of this post across.

This is UV backlit screen that allows IR laser point to be tracked
The screens are a mixture of:
Zinc Cadmium Sulfide, Silver, Nickel Doped (Yellow)
Zinc Sulfide, Copper Chloride Doped (Green)

^ I cannot seem to find these online for purchase;

My interest here is more broad and not specific to a single question, but perhaps instead more of related to the engineering of certain technologies and probably there will be some simple answers at fault of a basic lack in understanding of physics and proper science.

My broad question is that:
if the pigment represented in the video was made to be a sparse and contained as a static volume in some medium, then a UV laser with a line diode can beam a "slice" of glowing pigments into said volume;

With the video in mind using something in regards to a DLP(micro mirror technology) projector for speed and clarity, could one not reflect a properly focused IR lamp as to project an inverse of the image(like as the outside of a silhouette).

I would expect based on that video that bright spots can then be seen to represent solid volumes of an image; while the dark spots which are exposed to IR light represent area's of the volume not meant to be solid.

Would this combination of pigments/light allow me to draw 2D "slices" which can then be made 3D by moving the proposed UV laser "screen" back and forth?

It seems that in the video at least, surely something like this can be accomplished, however without having been able to purchase and create these different pigments to experiment against I am not sure what to expect.

I imagine that a simple problem with this may be that the pigment will emit light with only IR lasers. Which i assume would cause the entire volume to always be "lit" up from the DLP projector described above, and the volumetric effect lost.

Seems like an easy experiment.. but again, I don't have the chemicals or knowledge to really pull that off(or even the opportunity to try since I cannot find these chemicals!)

Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in using IR viewing plates for tracking IR laser points. Your idea of using zinc cadmium sulfide, silver, nickel doped (yellow) and zinc sulfide, copper chloride doped (green) as pigments for the screen is a good starting point. However, I would like to suggest a few considerations before proceeding with your experiment.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the effectiveness of the IR viewing plate depends on the properties of the pigments used. These pigments are specifically designed to absorb and emit light in the infrared spectrum, which is what allows the IR laser point to be tracked. Without the proper composition and properties of the pigments, the IR viewing plate may not work as intended.

Additionally, the use of DLP (micro mirror technology) projectors for speed and clarity may not be the most suitable method for projecting the inverse image. DLP projectors typically use visible light sources, which may not be effective for projecting an inverse image in the IR spectrum. This could affect the accuracy and clarity of the tracking.

Furthermore, the use of a UV laser "screen" to draw 2D "slices" and create a 3D image may not be feasible with the pigments you have mentioned. These pigments are designed for IR light, and may not respond to UV light in the same way. This could result in a loss of the desired volumetric effect.

In conclusion, while your idea is interesting, it is important to consider the properties and limitations of the pigments and the methods used for projection before proceeding with your experiment. I would recommend further research and experimentation with different pigments and techniques to achieve the desired results. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. How does a 3-D laser display work?

A 3-D laser display uses lasers to project images onto a screen or surface. The lasers are directed by mirrors and controlled by a computer to create the illusion of depth and dimension.

2. What technologies are currently being used for 3-D laser displays?

There are several technologies that are commonly used for 3-D laser displays, including digital micromirror devices (DMDs), liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS) panels, and galvanometer scanners. Each technology has its own advantages and limitations.

3. Can existing technologies be combined to create a more advanced 3-D laser display?

Yes, it is possible to combine different technologies to create a more advanced 3-D laser display. For example, some displays use both DMDs and LCoS panels to achieve higher resolution and color accuracy.

4. How can 3-D laser displays be used in practical applications?

3-D laser displays have a wide range of practical applications, including in entertainment, advertising, education, and industrial design. They can also be used for virtual and augmented reality experiences.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using existing technologies for 3-D laser displays?

Some potential drawbacks of using existing technologies for 3-D laser displays include high costs, limited color and resolution capabilities, and the need for precise calibration and maintenance. However, ongoing advancements in technology are constantly improving these factors.