1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding work.

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1

ssb

My TA gave us a conceptual example today that I dont understand. She was explaining how to derive work if you are given acceleration.

She wrote on the board that an object accelerates with 3t^2. the object weighs 3kg, starts at t=0. She asked us how much work is done on the object durring the first 2 seconds and then she said the answer was zero.

Is this right? what am I not getting:confused: :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, it is not.
    The net work done equals the change in the object's kinetic energy, which certainly is non-zero.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3

ssb

Thanks I knew she was crazy. That makes me feel better.

Do you know how to calculate this in joules by the way so I can go back to her and talk to her about this?

5. Feb 22, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You have the acceleration as a function of time. What would you need to do to get the velocity as a function of time?

6. Feb 22, 2007 #5

ssb

take the derivative right? so it would be 6x right? sorry im new to this stuff

7. Feb 22, 2007 #6

ssb

i tried solving for the position function which is just 6. graphicly speaking, a graph of y = 6 from 0 to 2 would cover 12 meters.
    since work is force x distance and force is mass x acceleration:

work = (3kg * 3x^2) * (12)
    so at time = 2, the work would be 432 joules?

Im sorry but im thinking i did something wrong.

8. Feb 22, 2007 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Just the opposite! Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity--which means the derivitive of velocity. Given the acceleration, you'd need to integrate to get velocity.

Read this: Acceleration, velocity, and Position

9. Feb 22, 2007 #8

ssb

ahhhh cool it is starting to make sence. Thanks!

10. Feb 22, 2007 #9
    That would work if your force was constant, but it acceleration is changing and so is force. The best way is to figure out the change in kinetic energy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?