1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question related to energy

1. Nov 1, 2003 #1
    here is a question that I am unable to solve:

The average human, of mass 52 kg needs to have approximately 9,000,000 J of energy per day. Suppose, you had to walk up a hill with an incline of 12 degrees. Determine the following:
    a) how high would the hill have to be (i.e. - change in height) in order to consume all of this energy.
    b) how much work did gravity do in all of this walking?

for A, i know you have to use the formula Eg=mgh but i am not sure where to sub in the energy as 9,000,000J or sin 12*9,000,000 (since its at an angle)

B) i dont knoe what role gravity plays in this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2003 #2
    In the formula mgh, h refers to just the vertical displacement, not the total distance.

For the work, you need to consider the definition of work done by a force (in this case, gravity) -- or, equivalently (in this case), the work done by changing potential energy.

4. Nov 1, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: question related to energy

sorry, but you haven't answered my question? directly

5. Nov 1, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Re: question related to energy

Energy is energy. You don't multiply it by anything.

6. Nov 1, 2003 #5
    SO, energy is not a vector quantity?

7. Nov 1, 2003 #6
    No, energy is a scalar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?