1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question related to molarity

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    Ammonia gas is passed into water, yielding a solution of density 0.93 g/cm^3 and containing 18.6% NH3 by weight. The mass of NH3 per cc of the solution is
    1) 0.17
    2) 0.51
    3) 0.34
    4) 0.68

I solved it using the molarity equation.

Molarity = 10xd/MM

where,

x - % by weight
    d - density
    MM - Molar mass

And then I multiplied molarity with Molar mass (17 g mol^-1) and got 172.98 as the answer, whereas the answer is 0.17.

Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Here.

First, this equation is wrong as written, second, even in the correct form it is not universal - it works only in specific situations. Do you know what they are?

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    No. I'm in high school. So, I don't know much about that. What specific situations are you talking about? .

5. Jun 24, 2015 #4

Borek

You were given this equation without any explanation?

6. Jun 27, 2015 #5
    Let ##x,y## the number of moles in a cc. Writing the problem we have:
    $$ \frac{17x}{17x+18y} = 0.186\times 0.93 $$

7. Jun 27, 2015 #6

Borek

Perfect way of overcomplicating things. How you are going to solve one equation with two unknowns?

8. Jun 29, 2015 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Forget about molarity which doesn't enter into his simple arithmetical problem.

Even forget about the density - it's not a million miles away from 1 g/cc.

Then only one of the given answers is anywhere near anything you would expect.

Though once you have seen which it is, do the working out of the exact answer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  9. Jul 5, 2015 #8
    HINT:
    MOLARITY is the number of moler PER LITRE of solution. Whereas you are asked the mass of NH3 in millilitres (or cc).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted