Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question relating to probablilties

1. Dec 1, 2003 #1
    I have a test tomorrow and there are 2 question I am stuck on

Five patrons check their coats at a theatre. In the confusion at the end of the performance, the attendant, in despair, hands the coats back at random

What is the probability taht 3 or more of the patrons will get their coat back.

The hint given is: can exactly 4 people receive their correct coat? Im pretty sure they cant because to do that, the fifth person would get the right coat back as well.

second one:

You are doing some wordprocessing, and you accidentally type 3 letters if the alphabet without noticing which ones you typed. What is the probability that the letters will be in alphabetical order from left to right?

So can anyone help? I knoe what the asnwers are, i just dotn know how to get them (the answer is 11/120 and 1/6)

somone, please explain!!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2
    This means that there is a single case when 4 or more of the patrons will get their coat back.

In how many ways can the attendant hand back the coats?

N=permutations of 5=5!=120

Next it must be calculated the number of possible cases when the attendant hands exactly 3 correct coats back.

N[3]=C53=5!/(3!)*(5-3)!=10

The probability that 3 or more of the patrons will get their coat back is:

P=(N[3]+1)/120=11/120

2.I assume that the three letters are distinct.Whatever letters are typed we can form 3!=6 distinct possibilities with them,function of their position (on the first,second or third place).

For example if the three letters were a,d,e we have the possibilities:

a,d,e
    a,e,d
    d,e,a
    d,a,e
    e,a,d
    e,d,a

In how many cases are they in the alphabetical order?In exactly one case.

Hence the seeked probability is:P=1/6.

The same is valid no matter the letters written,assuming they are distinct.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?