Question: time relative to the position in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time in relation to gravity and the location of an object in the universe. It is determined that time is not affected by the location of an object, but rather by its gravity and speed of light constant. The question is then raised about the effect of a black hole on time, to which it is explained that there would be a significant time dilation for an outside observer, but the person inside the black hole would not notice a difference. The concept of the center of the universe and the big bang is also discussed, with the conclusion that there is no specific point that can be considered the center. Lastly, it is noted that time would stop at the event horizon of a black hole, but only from
|imbiQ
My first post here so please go easy if this in the wrong place...

But I have a question which I think I know the answer too but need verification.

Situation: if there were 2 Earth's of same Mass and Gravity but one is at the centre of the universe (next to creation point-empty) and one was at the outer edge of universe (lots of space matter) time would be the same on both worlds.

Premise: Time is determined by the gravity and speed of light constant not the 'location' or how much other matter is closer to it.

So my question is : if you were on an Earth next to a black hole (lets just say you could survive) would time grind nearly to a halt?

Physics news on Phys.org
|imbiQ said:
Situation: if there were 2 Earth's of same Mass and Gravity but one is at the centre of the universe (next to creation point-empty) and one was at the outer edge of universe (lots of space matter) time would be the same on both worlds.

We don't think there's any center to the universe. I'm not sure what you mean by "time would be the same". If they were at rest with respect to one another, then they wouldn't measure any time dilation. If the Earth's were identical, I don't think they'd experience any gravitational time dilation either.

So my question is : if you were on an Earth next to a black hole (lets just say you could survive) would time grind nearly to a halt?

Everything would seem normal to you, but from the point of view of an outside observer, your time would have slowed down considerably, depending on how close you were to the event horizon.

OK to be more specific Centre of the Universe would be the point of the Big Bang occurrence.

Yes the second part is an objective (removed from the Earth's) view of time - then you would be viewing the two Earth's from a equidistant point.

Is the latest theory that at the event horizon time would stop all together? i can't remember..

|imbiQ said:
OK to be more specific Centre of the Universe would be the point of the Big Bang occurrence.

In space, there is no point of the big bang occurence. If you imagine inflating a balloon from an infinitely small size (a two-dimensional analogy to the expansion of the universe), what point on the surface of the balloon would you call the center? The answer is that there is none. In other words, the big bang happened everywhere.

If by point of the big bang you mean the point in spacetime, then in theory, it would experience an infinite time dilation relative to any other point, though I doubt this is possible in practice.

Yes the second part is an objective (removed from the Earth's) view of time - then you would be viewing the two Earth's from a equidistant point.

If you're standing at a distant point and observing both Earth's, then they'll both have an equal gravitational time dilation relative to you (assuming you mean people on the surface).

Is the latest theory that at the event horizon time would stop all together? i can't remember..

Yes, but only from an outside point of view. From the point of view of the person falling in, all is normal.

What is the concept of time relative to the position in the universe?

The concept of time relative to the position in the universe refers to the idea that time can appear to be different for different observers depending on their location and velocity in the universe. This is due to the effects of gravity and the speed of light, which can cause time to pass at different rates for different observers.

How does time dilation affect our perception of time?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This means that for an observer on Earth, time would appear to pass slower for an astronaut in space. This can affect our perception of time, making it seem like time is passing faster or slower depending on our relative position in the universe.

Can time travel be achieved by manipulating our position in the universe?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, it is currently not possible to travel through time by changing our position in the universe. The laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity, suggest that time travel would require immense amounts of energy and is not feasible with our current technology.

How does the expansion of the universe affect our understanding of time?

The expansion of the universe, which is the increase in the distance between galaxies, has an impact on our understanding of time. As the universe expands, the space between objects also increases, which can cause time to appear to pass at different rates for different objects in the universe. This challenges our traditional understanding of time as a constant and linear concept.

Is time relative to the position in the universe the same as the concept of "space-time"?

The concept of time relative to the position in the universe is closely related to the concept of "space-time". Space-time is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time into a four-dimensional continuum. This model helps us understand how time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the position and velocity of objects in the universe.