Question to all you Physics majors

• Thread starter zack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a freshman in college majoring in Biology who has also taken High School and AP Physics courses. They have struggled with math but have a strong interest in Classical and Theoretical Physics. They are wondering if they can still be successful in Physics with their shortcomings in math. The conversation concludes that physical intuition and understanding of concepts are more important than raw math skills in most cases, and that understanding how to use math in physics is more important than understanding the theory behind it.
zack
I am currently a Freshman in college and I am majoring in Biology. While I love it, I have grown very fond of Classical and Theoretical Physics. I did quite well in my High School level Physics course along with AP Physics, however, I am a mediocre math student. I like to study math and do problems, but I don't test well, usually in the B/C range. I was wondering if I have the chance to be a succesfull Physics major even with my shortcomings in math class. I just tend to do better when math is involved with an application, like in Chemistry and Physics. Any feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd argue that physical intuition is, in many cases, more important than math skills. Really deep math is only used in a few places in physics, and really only at the graduate level.

In most cases, thoroughly understanding physical concepts and being able to analyze how a solution will look before you put your pen to paper are more useful than raw math skills.

- Warren

My phys prof had this analysis between math and physics students trying to do physics questions.

Math students just find an answer and that's end of that.

Physics students find the answer and analyze if the answer makes sense.

For physics most of the time you don't need to know the "theory" behind the math, but rather "how" to use the math to do physics.

Tawcan is right, physics is generally not concerned with why the math works, only that it does. Not to say math is not important; physics (especially at a more advanced level) relies heavily on mathimatical tools. But, these tools can easily be learned. Without an understanding of the actual physics, the math is more or less meaningless.

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and baseballs. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation as described by Isaac Newton. On the other hand, quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It is based on probabilistic principles and describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. Can you explain the concept of relativity?

Relativity is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics do not depend on the observer's frame of reference. There are two types of relativity: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which deals with objects in accelerated motion and the effects of gravity.

3. How does the study of physics impact our daily lives?

Physics has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it is the foundation of many modern technologies. For example, the principles of electricity and magnetism, which are studied in physics, are essential for the functioning of electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, and televisions. Physics also plays a crucial role in the development of renewable energy sources, medical equipment, and transportation technology.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is a crucial tool in physics, as it provides a way to describe and understand the natural world quantitatively. Many physical theories and laws are expressed using mathematical equations, which allow us to make predictions and test the validity of these theories through experimentation. Without mathematics, it would be challenging to make sense of the complex and abstract concepts in physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options, both within and outside of the field. Many graduates go on to work in research and development for government agencies or private companies, such as NASA or technology companies. Others pursue careers in engineering, teaching, data analysis, or finance. Some physics majors also choose to continue their education and pursue advanced degrees in physics or other related fields.