Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question to find speed at terminal velocity with mass and the air resistance

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    On a recent drop, one of the parachutes holding a supply package didn’t open. If the mass of the package was 35 kg and the drag or air resistance factor was 0.8 kg/m, at what speed did the package reach terminal velocity?

I am confused with this question mainly because of the unit used for air resistance. I would normally look to find net force by converting 35 kg to N (which is 343) and air resistance to N as well. But what gets me is the air resistance factor format. I looked online and saw that N= kg * m/s^2 but I do not know how to go about converting .8 kg/m (which is not in m/s^2 format), in order to subtract the two forces (fnet) and setting up the equation fnet = m(a) and solving for acceleration. No where online is an example of this process with "kg/m" as the air resistance, the closest thing I can find to that is "kg/m^3" which is air density. Thank you all who can help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted