1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question to scientists.

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    Lately I've been through a matter that seemed quite ridiculous at the beginning.
    I believe I'm aware of what both Logic and Mathematics are. But I've come across people defending that Logic is not based on Mathematics, and as well that all Sciences need to be based on Mathematics or either they are not Science.
    Science is the language of nature, so I'm sure everything is either directly or indirectly based on Mathematics. But I'm lost as to how to explain people that Logic IS indeed based on it, more than indirectly; A Mathematical reasoning is not only using numbers to think, and to live, is it?
    I might however be also wrong, but until now I do keep my arguements.
    So, if somebody thinks so as well, I ask to aid me on said matter. Explaining how everything, and more specifically Logic is based on Mathematics, that is.
    Beforehand, thanks everyone in the Physics Forums.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Frankly I can't make heads or tails out of this.

You state: "But I've come across people defending that Logic is not based on Mathematics, and as well that all Sciences need to be based on Mathematics or either they are not Science."

Well, I'm one of those people and I am a mathematician!

You can set up a form of "logic" that is based on mathematics, or you can set up a different basis for logic and then base mathematics on that- it's all a matter of "style".

Science doesn't have to be "based" on mathematics- although, certainly, mathematics makes it easier to write clear, precise, statements.

4. May 6, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course logic is not based on mathematics. You have it backwards. Mathematics is based on logic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook