1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question when doing a simple investigative experiment .

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    question when doing a simple investigative experiment.....

should such variables as mass be similar to each other? what would be the advatages? disadvantages?

I said that the masses really shouldnt be similar...you're trying to get a data spread and you want your masses to not be similar but evenly spread....How right or wrong am I???

THX :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2004 #2
    Can you please be a little more specific? Variables depend on what kind of experiment you performed, because in some cases, things like mass are not inconsiquential. Can you go into a bit more detail about your experiment?

- harsh
  4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    We don't know what your experiement is, but generally if you want a data spread you (a) increase the number of sample points and (b) increase/decrease the distance (call it distance, span or delta...whatever) between successive values as desired.

So if you want a spread in mass, you could just add more mass...or to be more precise, add more weight (since you can't determine mass accurately anyway :tongue2:). Oh well, thats perhaps the most hopeless advice I can give you under the circumstances.

Advantages/Disadvantages? We don't know that until we know the objective of your investigation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?