1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question with Normal Force

1. Jun 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was doing a problem with normal force on an inclined plane and found the normal force by finding the y-component of the gravity vector. Then I also found that if I find the components of the normal force, I can also get another answer.
    -How are the 2 different equations available for the normal force the same

2. Relevant equations
    Fg = mg
    Fgy = -mgcos(theta)

Fny = Fncos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fgy = -mgcos(theta)
    Fn - mgcos(theta) = 0 'movement along plane; not vertically
    Fn = mgcos(theta)

Fny = Fncos(theta)
    Fncos(theta) - mg = 0 'movement along plane; not vertically
    Fn = mg/cos(theta)

I got 2 equations for Fn; Fn = mgcos(theta), Fn = mg/cos(theta)...I'm not understanding how the 2 are the same; can anyone help

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The object is accelerating, [tex]a[/tex], along the direction of the incline.

This means that in a direction perpendicular to the incline it is not accelerating as you correctly assumed in the derivation of your first formula.

One can decompose the acceleration along the incline into x- and y- components though. This means that in the x and y direction one cannot assume that the acceleration of the object is zero. So your second formula is invalid.

4. Jun 26, 2007 #3
    I see; thanks. But, in that case, the second equation would work if lets say the object was moving perpendicular to the plane (such as a car on a banked road), right?

5. Jun 26, 2007 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes, because the resultant acceleration is horizontal and there is then no vertical accelleration component.

6. Jun 26, 2007 #5
    Alright; thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?