Is Moisture Harmful to Telescope Lenses in Cold Weather?

In summary, the speaker recently purchased a telescope and is concerned about taking it outside in cold weather due to the possibility of moisture getting stuck in the lens and ruining it. They are seeking advice on whether this is a valid concern and how to prevent it. Other users suggest allowing the telescope to cool down before use and using a dew cap or plastic sheet to cover it. One speaker also shares their experience with a similar issue in cold weather.
redrum781
i just bought a telescope and i am in Canada it iz really cold outside and i want to take it outside to look at the stars but someone told me that moisture would get stuck in the lens and it would be ruined can somebody tell me if this is true personally i don't think it would but i don't want to take a chance of ruining it right away

Astronomy news on Phys.org
no it should not ruin the lens
if you can put the scope in a place that it will cool befor you go out to use it
like a garage or in a car as the hot scope will attract water from cold air
that will make it hard to see thru it

most good seeing is in cold clear weather so everone has this problem

a cover called a dew cap is a good idea too
or you can cover the whole scope with a plastic sheet
when waiting for it to cool

I have a relatively new Meade ETX-105 and have used it in cold weather (about 15F). One problem (besides frostbite) is the adhesive holding the diagonal flip-mirror in place loses its stickiness and can fall off. Its not difficult to fix yourself if that happens, but it was scary/annoying for a new scope to have that problem.

1. Is moisture harmful to telescope lenses in cold weather?

Yes, moisture can be harmful to telescope lenses in cold weather. The presence of moisture can lead to fogging or condensation on the lenses, which can affect the clarity and performance of the telescope.

2. How does moisture affect telescope lenses in cold weather?

Moisture can cause fogging or condensation on the lenses, which can reduce the amount of light that passes through and affect the clarity of the image. It can also lead to the growth of mold or bacteria, which can permanently damage the lenses.

3. Can I use my telescope in cold, wet conditions?

It is not recommended to use your telescope in cold, wet conditions as the moisture can be harmful to the lenses. If you must use your telescope in these conditions, be sure to properly protect and dry off the lenses afterward.

4. How can I prevent moisture from damaging my telescope lenses in cold weather?

To prevent moisture from damaging your telescope lenses in cold weather, it is important to properly store your telescope in a dry place when not in use. You can also use a dew shield or moisture-absorbing materials to protect the lenses while in use.

5. What should I do if my telescope lenses get wet in cold weather?

If your telescope lenses get wet in cold weather, it is important to dry them off immediately to prevent any damage. Use a clean, dry cloth to gently wipe off the lenses. If there is condensation inside the telescope, let it dry out completely before using it again.