Mechanical Eng+Physics Undergrad: Benefits/Experiences

• Thread starter Seth0Mitchell
  • Start date
In summary, there are both benefits and downsides to studying both mechanical engineering and physics in undergrad. On the positive side, you will have a deeper understanding of both fields compared to those with only a BS in one of them. However, this choice will take at least an extra year and will cost around $60,000. It may also have little impact on your employment and could potentially delay pursuing a graduate degree.
Seth0Mitchell
What sort of benefits are there to studying both mechanical engineering and physics in undergrad. I'm pretty dead set on this, I'm just curious to know. Has anyone else gone this route? I'm also minoring in EE if that helps the scenario out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benefits:

You will know more mechanical engineering than most people with a BS in physics.
You will know more physics than most people with a BS in ME.

Downside:

It will take you at least an extra year to graduate. If you look at the starting salary for an ME and assuming it costs you $10,000 dollars a year to be in school this is costing you about $60,000 a year to do.

It will have negligible effect on your employement (a year of experience would be better, at least from the ME side).

It will be spending time you could be using to pursue a graduate degree on a second undergraduate degree.

Well, one of my main goals is to become an accelerator engineer more or less. I plan on studying MechE in machine design and EE in power systems in grad. Potential money isn't quite a large concern to me. After all I didn't seek to get into engineering for the money haha.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

A double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics can provide a well-rounded education in both theoretical and practical aspects of these fields. This combination allows for a deeper understanding of the physical principles that govern mechanical systems, as well as the ability to apply this knowledge to real-world engineering problems. It also opens up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and more.

2. How do these two majors complement each other?

Mechanical Engineering and Physics are closely related fields, with physics providing the fundamental principles and laws that govern mechanical systems. By combining these two majors, students can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying physics behind mechanical systems and how to apply this knowledge to design and analyze these systems effectively.

3. What kind of coursework can I expect in a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

In a double major program, students will typically take courses in both Mechanical Engineering and Physics, covering topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. There may also be opportunities for interdisciplinary courses that combine both fields, such as courses in materials science or engineering physics.

4. What kind of skills can I develop through a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

Through this double major, students can develop a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They will also gain hands-on experience in designing, building, and testing mechanical systems, as well as developing strong mathematical and computational skills. Additionally, students may also develop skills in data analysis and experimental techniques through their coursework and research projects.

5. Are there any specific career paths for graduates with a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

Graduates with a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics can pursue careers in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, manufacturing, and research and development. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue graduate studies in either field or a related discipline.