1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questionable ODE Solutions

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    Find the eigenvalues λ, and eigenfunctions u(x), associated with the following homogeneous ODE problem:

[tex] {u}''\left ( x \right )+2{u}'\left ( x \right )+\lambda u\left ( x \right )=0\; ,\; \; u\left ( 0 \right )=u\left ( 1 \right )=0 [/tex]

Solution:

Try [itex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{rx} [/itex], which gives roots [itex] r=-1\pm \sqrt{1-\lambda } [/itex]. Solution is altered with [itex] \lambda <1\; ,\; \; \lambda =1\; ,\; \; \lambda >1 [/itex]

For the first case [itex] \lambda <1 [/itex]:

General solution:
    [tex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{\left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x}+Be^{\left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x} [/tex]
    [tex] u\left ( x \right )=C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )x [/tex]

Applying boundaries: (this is where my question lies - how to correctly apply BCs)

[itex] u\left ( 0 \right )=0 \; \; \Rightarrow \; \; C+D=0 [/itex] (some cases i've seen the conclusion that only [itex] C=0 [/itex]). Do i assume that as [itex] \cosh [/itex] is never zero that [itex]C=0[/itex] and therefore it must be that [itex]D=0[/itex]. Or do i only take [itex]C=0[/itex] and then apply the second BC to see what happens to [itex]D[/itex]?
    The latter (assuming [itex]C=0[/itex]) gives [itex]D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0[/itex]. So either [itex]D=0[/itex] or [itex]\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=i\pi n[/itex].

I'm confused by the rules for the BCs. Can anyone point out how to proceed? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does (x) mean? Is it the independent variable, and λ is also function of x, or the whole equation is multiplied by x, and λ is a constant?

ehild

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To apply a BC u(x=a)=b, you take the general expression for u(x), and everywhere you see an "x" you write in an "a", and at the end of the line you write "=b".

In your case, for u(0)=0 you write down:
    $$C\cosh (-1+\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0)+D\sinh (-1-\sqrt{1-\lambda})(0) = 0$$ ... and simplify.

You don't need to make assumptions - you know the values of the cosh and sinh parts at x=0 and if you don't you can look them up.

Then repeat for u(1)=0 ...

Note: I had the same puzzle as ehild over ##\lambda(x)## ... I assumed it was a typo considering the solution and focussed on the answer to your question.
    Have you checked your general solution against the DE?

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4
    Sorry, that was meant to be λu(x). I've corrected the original post.

6. Feb 18, 2014 #5
    Thanks Simon.
    With the first BC i'm seeing that the result doesn't actually tell me anything about the coefficients as they're multiplied by zero. Is that correct? So i still know nothing about C and D. Assuming i got some kind of positive result from the first BC how does that impact on use of the second?. For instance if i got C=0 then do i ditch the first term in the general solution when i use the second BC?

7. Feb 18, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to complicate the solution with cosh and sinh.

With the notation a=√(1-λ)>0, the general solution is u(x)=e-x(Aeax+Be-ax)

At x=0, u(0)=A+B=0 --->B=-A

At x=1, u(1)=e-1(Aea+Be-a)=0---> A(ea-e-a)=0

Is it possible if a>0??

ehild

8. Feb 18, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A lot of people consider cosh and sinh to be less complicated than [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]e^{-x}[/itex]! Especially when one of the boundary conditions is at x=0. cosh(0)= 1 and sinh(0)= 0.

9. Feb 18, 2014 #8
    Ok. I'm happy with that. So [itex] A\left ( e^{a}-e^{-a} \right )=0 [/itex] gives [itex] a=i\pi n [/itex] and we can get the eigenvalues from there [itex] \lambda = 1-\pi ^2 n^2 [/itex]

So, how do i write the general solution now, given that we haven't found anything out about the coefficients A and B. Would it be, [tex] u\left ( x \right )=Ae^{i\pi n}-Be^{-i\pi n} [/tex]

You wrote
    Did you mean a<0?

10. Feb 18, 2014 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean a>0 which means λ<1. Is it possible to fulfil the BC-s with λ<1? As you started to discuss that case.

And yes, you can get a solution zero at both boundaries when λ>1, that is, √(1-λ) is imaginary.

By the way, your formula with the cosh and sinh is not correct. You should have written
    [tex]u(x)=e^{-x}(C\cosh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)+Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)[/tex]

ehild

11. Feb 18, 2014 #10
    Sorry, weren't we just doing the case for λ<1?

12. Feb 18, 2014 #11

pasmith

Homework Helper

That should be
    [tex]
    u(x) = Ce^{-x} \cosh((1-\lambda)^{1/2}x) + De^{-x} \sinh((1 - \lambda)^{1/2}x)
    [/tex]

The solution to the eigenvalue problem [itex]v'' + \mu v = 0[/itex] with [itex]v(0) = v(1) = 0[/itex] is [itex]\mu_n = n^2\pi^2[/itex] with [itex]v_n(x) = \sin(n\pi x)[/itex]. This is relevant to your problem, because the substitution [itex]u(x) = e^{-x} v(x)[/itex] reduces your ODE to
    [tex]
    v'' + (\lambda - 1)v = 0
    [/tex]
    with [itex]v(0) = v(1) = 0[/itex].

13. Feb 19, 2014 #12
    Thanks for that.
    When we apply the first boundary u(0)=0 doesn't that yield that C=D=0?

14. Feb 19, 2014 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When λ<1
    at the first boundary, x=0, [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)=C\rightarrow C=0[/itex]
    at the second boundary,x=1, [itex]u(1)=D\sinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda})=0 \rightarrow D=0[/itex]

ehild

15. Feb 20, 2014 #14
    Why is the first boundary not [itex]u(0)=C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)\rightarrow C=D=0[/itex]?
    This is what i don't understand. Someone else was also telling me that the boundaries are applied to find a result for one coefficient at a time. Why is this?

16. Feb 20, 2014 #15

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]\sinh(0) = 0[/itex], so [itex]D \sinh(0) = 0[/itex] for any [itex]D[/itex].

17. Feb 20, 2014 #16

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because that would be incorrect algebra. The relationship you get is not C=D.

Since sinh(0)=0, the expression collapses to u(0)=C. That's just normal algebra.
    You also know that u(0)=0, therefore C=0. Notice how, by itself, this tells you nothing about the value of D. Which is why you need another relation.

If, however, the expression was more like u(x)=Ccosh(x)+D(sinh(x)-1)
    then u(0)=0 would get you 0=C-D so that C=D.
    But that is not what you have. Not even close.

Exactly what he said:
    Also think about how simultaneous equations work.
    This is the same thing.

18. Feb 21, 2014 #17
    Ok, just to be really clear... As a result of the boundary conditions we have
    [tex] u(0)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh(0)+D\sinh(0)=0 [/tex]and
    [tex] u(1)=0 \Rightarrow C\cosh \left ( -1+\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )+D\sinh \left ( -1-\sqrt{1-\lambda } \right )=0 [/tex]
    I understand your point about solving simultaneously but how to we infer, for the first boundary, that only C=0? Given that [itex] \sinh (0)=0 [/itex], surely then D=0 also. So [itex] \cosh (0) [/itex] is undefined and [itex] \sinh (0)=0 [/itex] so the resultant equation for [itex] u(0)=0 [/itex] is [itex] 0=0 [/itex]. Therefore both C and D must be zero???

19. Feb 21, 2014 #18

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the second formula is wrong. It should be

[tex]u(x)=e^{-x}(C\cosh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x)+Dsinh(\sqrt{1-\lambda}x))[/tex]

ehild

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  20. Feb 21, 2014 #19
    Can you show me how this is wrong? I don't get it.

21. Feb 21, 2014 #20

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See Post #11

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted