Should I Pursue a Career in Physics or Consider Other Options?

In summary: Diff Eq and Theoretical Physics, and these classes are so dull! I'm already struggling with the material two weeks into the semester. I'm questioning whether i really even like physics anymore. i used to love physics and astronomy (or what i could grasp of them) when i was younger. i loved reading articles about current science news. i don't have time for that anymore, it's just school. is it normal to feel this way, or do i need to consider a new career path?In summary, it is normal to feel this way at the beginning of a semester of physics. You might want to consider a new career path if you don't enjoy the
flame_m13
i'm currently in Diff Eq and Theoretical Physics, and these classes are so dull! I'm already struggling with the material two weeks into the semester. I'm questioning whether i really even like physics anymore. i used to love physics and astronomy (or what i could grasp of them) when i was younger. i loved reading articles about current science news. i don't have time for that anymore, it's just school.

is it normal to feel this way, or do i need to consider a new career path?

it's funny, because i really enjoyed my last science class, where i had to do a lot of research and write a paper about cubeSat components... i thought after that class that i had a fire for science, especially physics and astronomy. I'm really disappointed in myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the majority of physics beyond introductory physics is based on differential equations. Take that as you will.

You're not going to enjoy every course in your major. What other courses are you taking? Do you enjoy those? What courses are you expecting to take next semester?

Theoretical physics >> what class is that exactly?

are you struggling with the material because you think it's dull or bacause you think it's difficult?

I don't know. I actually found DiffEq quite enjoyable.

flame_m13 said:
i'm currently in Diff Eq and Theoretical Physics, and these classes are so dull! I'm already struggling with the material two weeks into the semester. I'm questioning whether i really even like physics anymore. i used to love physics and astronomy (or what i could grasp of them) when i was younger. i loved reading articles about current science news. i don't have time for that anymore, it's just school.

<snip>

To some degree it's normal- you are being exposed to all the parts of physics, not just the interesting fluffy bits you read about in the popular literature.

As far as choosing a career path, what is your 5-year plan? Graduate, and then what?

renz said:
Course Description:
Review of: Complex numbers, vector spaces, linear operators, and vector integral systems. Study of Fourier series; product solutions of PDEs; and special functions. Co-requisite: Differential Equations (MATH 2420 or equivalent).

are you struggling with the material because you think it's dull or bacause you think it's difficult?
i think it's a bit of both.

Andy Resnick said:
As far as choosing a career path, what is your 5-year plan? Graduate, and then what?

i have no idea any more. it's strange, but i don't know what my interests are or what I'm good at. i started this path because it's what i enjoyed in high school, but it's been a few years. I'm going to the career center at my school next week to see if there's anything out there for me.

flame_m13 said:
renz said:
Course Description:
Review of: Complex numbers, vector spaces, linear operators, and vector integral systems. Study of Fourier series; product solutions of PDEs; and special functions. Co-requisite: Differential Equations (MATH 2420 or equivalent).

Where exactly is the physics in this class?

Sounds like a mathematics for physicist class. It would be a good syllabus for that class.

j93 said:
Sounds like a mathematics for physicist class. It would be a good syllabus for that class.

yeah, i guess it is. the weird thing is that my school also offers a mathematics for physics class...

So if you are not taking any "true" physics classes and are bored, maybe you are not bored by physics but rather the math preparation classes?

those kinda courses have the reputation of being boring. I've hated every single DEs course I've taken. the pain will soon pass, don't worry.

they have that class in my uni too, I'm taking a similar class for EE's now; diffy q's will get more interesting IMO, I enjoyed my introductory diffy q class as well as the one I'm taking now.

renz said:
... I actually found DiffEq quite enjoyable.

I'll confess that I found Diff EQ excessively boring, but then found Partial Differential Equations / Boundary Value Problems one of my most interesting math courses. I think it didn't have so much to do with professor quality, but rather text quality. This could be because Diff EQ is taken by many engineering majors... meaning there's many more texts on the market; so many more opportunities to go bad. I don't often sell back textbooks, but I'm not sure about where that Diff EQ text is anymore... maybe I did sell it back. On the other hand, I regret purchasing my BVP text used, since it was in poor condition and quickly fell into two halves... which I do still have years later!

I'll also confess that I don't know what your "theoretical physics" course is (though it looks like math methods). I'm actually glad I declared my physics major late so that I didn't feel compelled to take some non-required intermediate "holder" classes (like math methods)... I just dove straight into physics-major quantum, E/M, thermo and Mechanics (all at the same time!) right after the standard intro calc-based courses. I feel there's something fishy about some of those intermediate courses...
140_animated_fish_swimming.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Norman said:
So if you are not taking any "true" physics classes and are bored, maybe you are not bored by physics but rather the math preparation classes?

I agree. Maybe you are just bored by the math classes, and not necessarily the physics you are learning?

flame_m13 said:
i used to love physics and astronomy (or what i could grasp of them) when i was younger. i loved reading articles about current science news. i don't have time for that anymore, it's just school.

I think that could be the interesting part. There's obviously some interest but that doesn't imply or require you to love all of physics and the mathematics that goes with it. A pure maths class may well seem dull and boring but it's one of those requirements to really focus on the areas that you like.

I myself tend to go through quite a few phases where I get bored or 'fall out of love' with my degree. I especially dislike the electronic/experimental side of physics and those classes can sometimes make me question whether I'm really doing the right thing. But as soon as I pick up the the astro-topics or quantum-topics then it really reminds me why I've chosen to study physics.

Whilst I do tend to dislike the electro/experimental side of things I've still managed to develop an appreciation for what the subjects involve and having a basic understanding of things like experimental errors and limitations is somewhat fundamental to the subject.

So perhaps in your case the purely mathematical side of things is just not of interest? Doesn't mean the topis aren't vital though and will probably be something you have to grind your way through.

I guess I'm pretty much agreeing with most of the above posts.

flame_m13 said:

it's funny, because i really enjoyed my last science class, where i had to do a lot of research and write a paper about cubeSat components... i thought after that class that i had a fire for science, especially physics and astronomy. I'm really disappointed in myself.

Just get the degree. You don't necessarily have to choose physics as a career path.

1. What is a physics major?

A physics major is a field of study that focuses on the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It involves the study of various subfields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What skills are needed to be successful in a physics major?

To be successful in a physics major, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It is also helpful to have a curiosity for the natural world and a passion for understanding how things work.

3. What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and science communication. They can also pursue further education in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or medical physics.

4. Is a physics major a challenging program of study?

Yes, a physics major is a challenging program of study as it involves complex mathematical concepts and theories. It also requires a lot of hands-on experimentation and problem-solving, making it a rigorous and demanding field.

5. Can I pursue a physics major if I do not have a strong background in science?

While having a background in science can be beneficial, it is not a requirement to pursue a physics major. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students build a strong foundation in physics. With hard work and dedication, anyone can excel in a physics major, regardless of their background.