1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about a MS program in chemistry

1. May 13, 2005 #1
    Hello all. Do you think a M.S. in chemistry is worth it? I am not someone who wants to devote his life to his job (which is what the PhD students seem intent on), I just want to be able to make a contribution to my field and have some responsibility and independence. So I think a MS might be for me.

Is a MS worth anything in this field? I have heard some people say a MS is no different than a BS and 2 years experience, I have heard others say you get some responsibilites with a MS that you can't get with a BS. The income is roughly the same for both (according to the ACS it was 58 & 68k respectively). However I have heard with some new fields like biotechnology a MS is a valid degree and offers advancements that you can't get with just a BS assuming you've done a thesis and some independent research.

Is a MS program as difficult as a PhD program? I am ok with working 50-60 hours a week, but I really don't want to work 70-80 hours a week in graduate school. Maybe some graduate schools only require 50-60 hours a week, but I'd have to shop around to find one.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted